Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Random Topic - Random colours and routines

Spider

When the routine Block.tap was listed. (written in basic) I wondered if the same type of routine could be used to generate the familiar JSW title logo. So I wrote something that emulated the visuals of the basic. Whilst that code took an hour to write, I could not generate the JSW logo using the routine I wrote. It can draw what looks like the LOGO with a flicker. The Flicker is the result of not being able to stop the drawing at any point, with the graphics needed. It has to keep on updating the screen to form a flickering image.

So a failure and not what I wanted. This is the Block Tap equivalent in Assembler.

Hold "A" to slow down to the speed of drawing the basic blocks.

Hold "D" to freeze

close.jpg

LOGO_G.tap

Edited by Norman Sword
terminology.

@Norman SwordThe Program always moves the blocks front right, front left or up. There are always all three sides of the last block exposed. So you are right, the impossible triangle cannot be reached.

You could prevent the program from overwriting blocks (except the last one) already on the screen. I think (I haven't tried it) that should enable impossible triangles and other impossible figures to appear.

Also, if you really want to go for crazy speed, you can fill the screen with the triangle pattern and just write the attributes. The actual bitmap pattern (addresses 16384-22527) never needs to change.

Cool program. I feel flattered again.

Cunning - I assume that the revised routines are passive.

The original added blocks to an exposed face, actively over writing the screen with the new block

I assume the revised routine adds blocks to the hidden faces - passively adding blocks with no overwrite of existing blocks. 

I will come back to this when I have the time to do so.

Edited by Norman Sword

3 hours ago, Norman Sword said:

The original added blocks to an exposed face, actively over writing the screen with the new block

That is correct, but I'm not sure that this was the important change. Spoilers ahead, stop reading now if you'd rather figure it out for yourself.

I think the important change was to align everything to a four block grid. I had several attempts that almost worked, even with adding blocks to the front, but there were always cases where it didn't work, specifically when a line of blocks crossed very close to the starting point.

Edited by JianYang
Adding spoiler tags

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...