Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Random Topic - Random colours and routines

Spider

• 6 months later...

20 hours ago, MtM said:

That is almost a 1982 style game there Jian! 😉

I'm not sure if you're talking about an actual 1982 game that looked like this or just mean that this would have made me look like a genius programmer by 1982 standards.

If it's the latter: I conned my way to a Speccy in 1983 by showing my mother's boyfriend the following program:

10 INPUT a$

20 PRINT a$

30 GO TO 10

I told him this was probably the shortest possible word processor and he was so impressed that he insisted on paying like 80% of a 48K Spectrum (I would have been happy with a 16K) for my next birthday and my mother begrudgingly (she thought that math and computers were a waste of time and I should rather do something worthwhile with a future like languages, art or classical music) paid the rest.

So even in 1983 you could still convince people that you're a programming genius with much less. If I had shown him the program above I might have ended up with a Cray-1.

3 hours ago, JianYang said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about an actual 1982 game that looked like this or just mean that this would have made me look like a genius programmer by 1982 standards.

If it's the latter: I conned my way to a Speccy in 1983 by showing my mother's boyfriend the following program:

I told him this was probably the shortest possible word processor and he was so impressed that he insisted on paying like 80% of a 48K Spectrum (I would have been happy with a 16K) for my next birthday and my mother begrudgingly (she thought that math and computers were a waste of time and I should rather do something worthwhile with a future like languages, art or classical music) paid the rest.

So even in 1983 you could still convince people that you're a programming genius with much less. If I had shown him the program above I might have ended up with a Cray-1.

I should of said that is almost a game by 1982 standards really Jian. Good work on getting your Spectrum! I think we all probably had some kind of story a bit like that if we got Spectrum's as kids, tried to justify it by saying, "I will use it for my homework!" when really you just wanted to get a pirate copy of Match Day or something like that 😉

I can remember a salesman in an independent computer shop near me selling C64's simply by loading off tape Ghostbusters on and pressing the space bar so you heard the sample it would play that said "Ghostbuters! Ha ha ha ha ha ..." and people buying them on the strength of that alone! But in retrospect why not? Adults then didn't really know any better which worked to our advantage 🙂 

• 2 months later...