Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Jet Set Willy.

Norman Sword

I have tried to continue recording my open RZX recording in Fuse and Spectaculator, but it didn't work in either emulator. An error message was shown in each case.

Back in ZX Spin, I tried finishing "Amoebatrons' Revenge" with a different timing multiple times to see if I could enter "Solar Power Generator" at the right moment, but I never got it right, the ray was always deflected off the red plane.

I also rolled back my recording to the end of Cavern 17, timed the entry to "Amoebatrons' Revenge" a little differently than I would have done normally, completed "Amoebatrons' Revenge" and tried entering "Solar Power Generator" with various timings at the end of "Amoebatrons' Revenge". None of these efforts produced the desired result in "Solar Power Generator".

In view of this and of the probabilities indicated by Norman Sword, I will desist from further attempts, consider my current recording of "Manic Jet Set Willy" played at the slowest speed to be the definitive one, and use it for the video I'm going to make for the JSW Central YouTube channel in the coming days.

I don't perceive the fact that the score while playing at the lowest speed will be inferior to the scores obtained when playing at higher speeds as a problem or something negative. To the contrary, as mentioned before, I believe it can be interpreted as an intriguing real-life metaphor: It does not always pay to be overly cautious; sometimes you just need to move fast! 😉 

• 2 weeks later...

"Manic Jet Set Willy" has now been added to the list of list of games using other game engines on JSW Central. I have created an additional subcategory for it - "C. The original Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy recreated as one game using a new game engine" - as it did not fit into any of the existing ones (with a resulting renumbering to "D" of the "New games using other game engines" subsection). 

"Manic Jet Set Willy" also has an individual page with a description, download links, a complete screenshot gallery and an embedded video from the JSW Central YouTube channel. Please let me know if there is anything that should be modified in or added to the description!

The YouTube video, showing the game completed three times at various speeds, is here.

Once again, congratulations on fitting it all into 48K, Norman Sword! 👍

Thanks for the mention on jsw central.

I must point out that when I wrote about cheat activation, I finished by adding:- 

You must wear a mask, and take all the necessary Covid precautions.

Sterilise the keyboard before usage to stop program code bugs. 

Your socks must match, absence of socks or mismatch of socks will abort cheat.

which I thought was sufficent to indicate, I was not being serious.

Apart from the extra row of keys used. The cheat "type in" is accessed in the same way as the normal Jet Set Willy. Having odd socks is only a fashion statement. There being no restrictions in the Time/score/Clock time etc.

Cheat is typed when standing on the lower floor in the "First Landing"

The cheat is "heroJokerKilt"
Cheat only works on legal Jet set willy room numbers

Cheat will not work in Manic Miner

Cheat will not work in any part of the toilet run sequence.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:23 PM, JianYang said:

That's quite impressive.

I wonder if by casually mentioning @RuffledBricks I can summon him and maybe get him to make a speedrun through this version.

Sorry, not been in here much recently, so I completely missed this ping.

Afraid I'm going to have to dash your hopes though, as this is not a run I'm particularly interested in doing any time soon. No shade on this version, to be clear - I can see a lot of love and care has gone into it - but I've basically experienced a large amount of Willy burnout by this point, and apart from trying to get my WRs back (I lost them due to +2A being faster than 128K, it turns out!), it would take something particularly off the beaten track to draw me back to it.

Had this version been what my imagination conjured up when I first saw the description - JSW with the MM rooms seamlessly interspersed into the open world layout of the mansion - then I would definitely have been up for at least giving it a go. However, this game is fundamentally just JSW followed by MM, which isn't really a significant enough remix to make me want to speedrun it. Thank you very much for thinking of me though.

Edited by RuffledBricks

"Manic Jet Set Willy" is not "a significant enough remix" from the speedrunning perspective, according to RuffledBricks, which is fair enough. I would only add that it is "significant enough" from the technical perspective, as it proves that it is possible to cram both JSW and MM into one 48K game.

Everything's a matter of perspective 😉 .

10 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

"Manic Jet Set Willy" is not "a significant enough remix" from the speedrunning perspective, according to RuffledBricks, which is fair enough. I would only add that it is "significant enough" from the technical perspective, as it proves that it is possible to cram both JSW and MM into one 48K game.

Everything's a matter of perspective 😉 .

Not from "the speedrunning perspective", just from "the RuffledBricks perspective". I don't speak for all of speedrunning. 😅 And I did acknowledge that it was clearly a technically impressive game (perhaps not in those words, but "I can see a lot of love and care has gone into it"). As I stated, it was more just having overdone the Willy games at this point and wanting to do other things that's meant I'm less interested in this kind of challenge right now. 

Speedrunning the Miner Willy games is pretty knackering, just FYI. There's no RNG, so it's the same thing over and over again. We don't use rollback or savestates so one mistake can mean resetting the entire run. And most notably, there just aren't enough people doing it or even watching it to keep it that competitive. It's really hard to maintain enthusiasm for speedrunning a game as close to perfection as possible when there's barely even a couple of other active runners on the leaderboard.

The room exists as a void room. The room is drawn with no graphics no sprites and all exits are set to go to the "off licence".

The code checks (in cheat)  for rooms 47/61/62 and 63 if found then the cheat code is ignored.

If in playing the room 47/61/62 or 63 was entered, you would land either on the floor across the room at mid point or across the bottom. Nothing would be visible. On walking across the room you would enter the "off licence".

So yes the room exists. But would be very difficult to edit by virtue of the data size being set to the smallest possible size.

Looking at the data with a hex editor will not show much. The data and its structure are comparable to JSW2 in its layout. While JSW2 keeps all the rooms in continuous blocks of data . The room layouts all being together and the (sprite movement data ,the tile colours, the graphics and room name) being in another block. In ManicJetSetWilly the room graphics and the tile colours etc are mixed with no real indication of where one starts or finishes.  In JSW2 the room names can be seen alongside the appropiate room data. Giving an easy to see reference point.

In ManicJetSetWilly the data for room names and the room data are vastly seperated and room data just flows from one rooms data set to the next for the room data.  

Edited by Norman Sword