Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

The big fall

Spider

I was thinking about the fall Willy has if he is silly enough to jump from 'On top of the house' and I thought of the fall in JSW2 from 'Drinking Water' too.

A quick comparison, these are Amstrad screenshots however the playing area block size is the same:

jsw1_fall_max.png jsw2_fall_max.png

I purposely excluded "Down 'T Pit' as you're already on the floor of that screen and with the 'Top of house' you've got a choice of a higher jump.

Its not about the actual total blocks, its the number of rooms you pass through.

Are any third party games 'taller' in the maximum possible fall ? I cannot immediately think of one...

I'll also post this on the Central Cavern FB group too, to see if they have any thoughts.

EDIT... To clarify, it is not the total 'max blocks' fallen, its only the 'maximum rooms' count.

In Alex Cornhill (Sendy)'s game "where's woody?" if you jump down in the room "advocate of stupidity" (019), you fall down to your (repeated) death through 14 rooms (including the starting one). This is what it looks like: https://jswcentral.org/wos/woody_fall.mp4

Please note I used a modified game file for this, to start in "advocate of stupidity". In an unmodified game, the fall would look exactly the same, only the time on the clock (and possibly the item count) would be different.

I can't think of any other game where there would be a longer (or equally long) fall.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:39 PM, Spider said:

To clarify, it is not the total 'max blocks' fallen, its only the 'maximum rooms' count

If that's the case, then shouldn't you have included a screenshot of Down t'Pit (the start of that fall) to show that it is in fact a bigger drop (in terms of number of rooms) than the drop from On Top of the House? 🤨

9 minutes ago, IRF said:

What about the record for the longest fall which seems like it's going to be fatal, but in the room at the bottom Willy encounters a rope which saves the day!? 

Fun fact: if Willy drops down onto a rope from the room above (eg. Orangery to Swimming Pool), and then you use WRITETYPER to teleport him to another room, then sometimes* in the teleport destination room, he can end up dropping a 'safe' distance onto a platform only a couple of rows below but still be killed (because the falling counter variable isn't actually reset to zero by the process of being caught by a rope).

(*At other times, Willy ends up 'out of alignment' with the character rows, causing further odd things to happen!) 

On 6/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, IRF said:

What about the record for the longest fall which seems like it's going to be fatal, but in the room at the bottom Willy encounters a rope which saves the day!? 

Now that is something useful! Provided Willy falls near enough to be caught. Indeed this gives me a new thought @IRF

Lets say he falls 3 or 4 rooms down and on room 5 the rope is swinging left and he catches is provided he fell near enough it allowing him a passage safely to the left of that screen (think like Back stairway layout for half the screen)

... but ...

if he misses is then he falls a couple more screens and is caught by a rope swinging rightwards this time. Although he is now in a different area. Possibly only accessible via this method unless a tortuous route is followed.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:17 AM, IRF said:

If that's the case, then shouldn't you have included a screenshot of Down t'Pit (the start of that fall) to show that it is in fact a bigger drop (in terms of number of rooms) than the drop from On Top of the House? 🤨

Your wish is my command 😉 (I did make the guardians a bit harmless to save time!) To match the others I've again used the Amstrad version. It plays just as nicely in obviously a different palette:

itrh.png

On 6/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, IRF said:

Fun fact: if Willy drops down onto a rope from the room above (eg. Orangery to Swimming Pool), and then you use WRITETYPER to teleport him to another room, then sometimes* in the teleport destination room, he can end up dropping a 'safe' distance onto a platform only a couple of rows below but still be killed (because the falling counter variable isn't actually reset to zero by the process of being caught by a rope).

(*At other times, Willy ends up 'out of alignment' with the character rows, causing further odd things to happen!) 

I have seen that occasionally! 😄

I've seen that happen a few times yes! 😄

On 6/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, IRF said:

FALL_TEST.TAP

Note this file only has a few basic rooms and the cell colours are not always set properly. There's not meant to be any exit left/right its only a 5 minute 'build' demonstration. 🙂 Willy can pass through earth cells but I did not really pay a lot of attention to the ropes, other than trying an invisible (black/black) one! Exits may or may not be valid, I recall I forgot to set 'same room' for one of them. Basic premise simply catch him either way in a different part of a game...

EDIT... The game 'core' was altered a bit as I used a starting base project to do this, so there's no clock / central display of lives etc. Not the best 'base file' to use but it serves the purpose here well enough.