Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

The big fall

Spider

If I recall correctly, the Swimming Pool in Jet Set Mini has a Room Setup Patch which changes the initial swing direction of the rope, depending on which side of the room Willy enters. The net result is that the rope will always catch Willy whenever he drops from above, whether he is left or right of the top segment of rope. 

On 6/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, IRF said:

What about the record for the longest fall which seems like it's going to be fatal, but in the room at the bottom Willy encounters a rope which saves the day!? 

Danny, does this ring a bell with you? I seem to recall a game with an improbably long drop, where a rope saves the day several rooms down from the start of the fall. Can't recall which game though. One of Richard Hallas's maybe? 

On 6/12/2022 at 5:47 AM, IRF said:

Danny, does this ring a bell with you? I seem to recall a game with an improbably long drop, where a rope saves the day several rooms down from the start of the fall. Can't recall which game though. One of Richard Hallas's maybe? 

I think there are various such safe drops through more than one room in various games, but, off the top of my head, I wouldn't dare say which one is the longest one of them all.

In Sendy's and mine "JSW: Mind Control" there are two such drops.

One, which I'm particularly proud of (for various reasons), is when you jump into a void between the clouds on the left in "A Rope in the Sky? Impossible!!!" (004), find yourself in free fall in "A Glimpse of 'JSWL 2005' Megamix' (060) and land safely on a tiny rope at the top of "The Most Secret of All Places". This drop is also a secret route, as it would be hard to expect from a reasonable (and uninquisitive) player to jump off the rope in  "A Rope in the Sky? Impossible!!!".

The other one starts in "Promoter of Foolishness" (019), my remake of "advocate of stupidity" (019) from Sendy's game "where's woody?". Willy falls down through "Foolish, wasn't it?" (014), "But Willy'll be lucky, will he?" (012) and ends up safely on the rope in "Yes! Willy's a lucky bastard!!!" (098).

There may be some safe long drops also in the games that use the fall-without-dying POKE as a constant feature. I can't think of any specific ones right now, but I'm sure you could find some in these games.

13 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

There may be some safe long drops also in the games that use the fall-without-dying POKE as a constant feature. I can't think of any specific ones right now, but I'm sure you could find some in these games.

I seem to think there's a couple of games if not more that actually set this on/off per room. I'd have to have a look or think about it. Not 'Dynamite Dan' trampoline style, but more "you can land on this from a great height"