Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Jet Set Willy V3

Norman Sword

Manic Jet Set Willy V3

The last version I do of the combined Jet set Willy and Manic Miner. Time wise I only spent a few weeks on the main code. Overall I just kept on changing the file and adding bits and pieces to the game. No overall attempt at changing the original game play. 

This file runs on a standard 48k spectrum and could have been released at the same time as the originals were released.

997590336_loadedtitlescreen.png.c16e23cce7fbdfcea7d7683ce266b684.png

Keys on title screen -
<1>                                  =change playing mode ,
<enter>                           = start game

game keys -
<enter>                          =  toggle music on/off,
<H>                                =  faster game play, shorter music notes
<J>                                 =  slower game play, longer music notes
<ASDFG>                       =  pause, - display the high score
<QETUO>                       =  Move left,
<WRYIP>                        =  move right,
<ZXCVBNM>+<space> =  jump.

objective collect the flashing keys, and accumulate monies

Difference from normal JSW and MM - A heavy fall or touching sprites or baddies will cost monies from Willies ready cash.

The solar beam will cost a lot of monies on contact with Willy.
Dropping Kong gains a lot of monies.

But do keep an eye on your ready cash - when it has all gone - it is game over. 

This game is the compaction of Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner both originally 48k games. The compaction of the games allows for both to run (modified) in 48k.

Edited by Norman Sword
BUGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

The version is now v3.01  ---- it managed to be  just v3 from mid 2022 to jan 1st 2023 --- ... More haste less checks ---

The edit I did was 

if object = nul ---- was changed from
if object = 0 

The edit does not give the same result 

It does however make the objects invisible ----

Edited by Norman Sword
Visited by Martian robots.

I've discovered a very peculiar feature of this game (and V1.05), which I've discussed in detail in the following post on the earlier Manic Jet Set Willy thread:

The thing I noticed was that when you lose your penultimate life, you effectively lose two lives simultaneously and the game ends.  (But there seems to be at least one exception to that rule - it doesn't happen that way in the Central Cavern, but only if you've collected all the items in that cavern prior to losing your penultimate life!)

Answers on a postcard please...

Edited by IRF

17 minutes ago, Norman Sword said:

When the cash reaches £00000 a new life is not avaialable .... LOOK and observe the FLASHING £00000 value

Ah, so it's a feature not a bug (to be fair, I did include that possibility in my initial post after spotting the "bug/glitch/(feature?)").

I wasn't aware of the new game parameters - I've just had a skim through the readme (Word document) in the Zip file, so I think I've got my head around the 'new regime' now.

I suppose if you played very poorly - hung around for long enough without collecting items - then you could end up losing more than two lives simultaneously...

Edited by IRF

20 minutes ago, IRF said:

I suppose if you played very poorly - hung around for long enough without collecting items - then you could end up losing more than two lives simultaneously...

Actually, that's not a theoretical risk and there's no need to hang around for ages to bring it about - I just set the game to random mode, entered the portal in the Bathroom, I ended up in Solar Power Generator, an encounter with the solar beam sapped most of my money away, and then I got hit by a guardian and lost all my lives in quick succession!!

This new system really does provide added peril to the game!

22 hours ago, IRF said:

entered the portal in the Bathroom, I ended up in Solar Power Generator

That is to be fair a rare situation, I did experience this myself. But generally if the Solar Power is about the 4th or so cavern you enter, you'll probably be OK.

There was a change (I think I've not double checked) with that cavern slightly between v2 and v3 as well.

A few things I have forgotten to mention about this new version. I love the sun on the title screen shimmering in the

water. There are some real proverbial quality of life features too, number of screens visited, how many MM

screens have been completed and items found, the attract mode and the multicoloured words look great,

those little details really help set it apart. The only downside is I started to complete version 2, and now I will

have to start again on version 3! Still it's a good problem to have.

Thanks again Norman for this, truly a great piece of work, and if it is your last then it is a good way to sign off.