Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Jet Set Willy V3

Norman Sword

• 3 months later...

I've just noticed something slightly different about the behaviour of the game mechanics in MJSW compared with original MM/JSW.

I noticed it in The Endorian Forest, whilst trying to jump leftwards off the bottom right crumbly platform. If Will stands on the far left of that crumbly platform (in such a position that one step leftwards would cause him to stand on the spiky branch fire cell to the left of the crumbly, killing him), and then does a leftwards jump:

- In original MM, he hits the Fire cell and dies (because in the first increment of a sideways jump, he moves leftwards and is drawn at the same height; the jumping indicator is set in that pass through the Move Willy routine, but he isn't actually moved upwards until the next time frame;

- In MJSW, the movement is the same and he is drawn in the next iteration apparently standing on the Fire cell (although his pixels only occupy the righthand of the two character columns that he occupies in that frame of animation), but he survives the encounter and subsequently jumps over the fire cell and onto the platform above. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, jetsetdanny said:

Thanks for this interesting observation, Ian! 👍

I think the observation might have consequences for how quickly Willy can complete the cavern in Manic Jet Set Willy, compared with original Manic Miner. By only having to take one step forward (not two) off the upper platform (onto the upper crumblies) before dropping and then jumping leftwards to collect the final (lower-right) item, you can collect that item one air-increment sooner and then head to the portal - gaining one extra point for this cavern.

There may be other caverns where the ability to step one increment closer to a Fire cell embedded in the platform you are standing on before jumping over it could gain you more points.  However, I can't think of another scenario in the original MM caverns where there is a Fire cell underfoot in this way and a time saving may be gained; most Fire cells are at knee-height or are overhead. Maybe The Vat or The Warehouse might play out differently? EDIT: In the JSW room The Beach, it might be possible to get closer to the crabs before jumping over them without being nipped.

Edited by IRF

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 11:12 AM, IRF said:

: In the JSW room The Beach, it might be possible to get closer to the crabs before jumping over them without being nipped.

I can confirm that, as per the above, the crabs do indeed behave differently in Manic Jet Set Willy's version of The Beach, compared with the ones in the same room from the original JSW game.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

It seems that something has been modified in relation to this file today - or perhaps only its description, as the download ZIP seems to be the same. What has changed exactly???

Unless I am mistaken (and hopefully will be corrected) the CRC for the zip is identical hence unchanged.

The one change I do see is the use of highlighted text indicating that should Willy's cash expire its game over for him. 🙂

Because the system has not yet 'updated' the descriptor in the first post in the topic which will happen over the next few hours or so anyway automatically, I could see the difference there