Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Jet Set Willy V3

Norman Sword

3 hours ago, Spider said:

That is to be fair a rare situation, I did experience this myself. But generally if the Solar Power is about the 4th or so cavern you enter, you'll probably be OK.

If you play in the mode whereby the caverns appear in the original MM order then it won't be a problem, as Willy should have accumulated a healthy bank balance by the time he reaches Solar Power Generator.

11 hours ago, IRF said:

If you play in the mode whereby the caverns appear in the original MM order then it won't be a problem, as Willy should have accumulated a healthy bank balance by the time he reaches Solar Power Generator.

Oh I know. 🙂 I just meant one of the 'random' modes, although it would be bad luck to encounter the 'Beam' early on in the game, possible but hopefully not that likely.

The JSW title screen has a lot of code creating the variances on the JSW logo. The colours (inks and papers) are mixed up by a randomising routine. Which just for the back ground penrose triangle can give 210 differing  colour combinations. On top of those colour changes the text has differing effects and colour changes. So the colour combinations for the title screen should run into the thousands. 

all the blues.png

jsw main1.png

jsw main2.png

JSW MIAN3.PNG

JSW MAIN 3.PNG

ss.png

ss1.png

ss2.png

ss3.png

ss4.png

Edited by Norman Sword
Aliens adding spaces to the text I type

On 1/2/2023 at 7:55 PM, Norman Sword said:

Poor observation 

When the cash reaches £00000 a new life is not avaialable .... LOOK and observe the FLASHING £00000 value

I made a poor observation of a suboptimal warning system. 😋

If the FLASHING £ value is to serve as a warning then it should start to FLASH during gameplay, whenever the total drops below £100,000. i.e. To signify that more cash needs to be accrued quickly or else the next life lost will mean Game Over! (It should then stop FLASHING if, during subsequent play Willy, manages to get the total back up to £100,000 or more - enough to pay for a 're-spawn'.)

The way that things are setup at the moment, the £ doesn't start to FLASH until the onset of the Game Over sequence, so the player has no opportunity to do anything about it...

EDIT: I suppose the FLASHING £ count on the Game Over screen serves as a learning tool for the next time you play the game, indicating one of the factors that led to your failure.

Edited by IRF

• 1 month later...

I test-played this just a bit, but I did certainly notice, how much nice details you have put there! Like that delayded "sliding colour" of room names and great Norman Sword presents title screen! The neat yellow-blue-loading-bars sync´ing with the title tune! Was this feature ever used in any other Spectrum game? The fast speed made this to feel like brand new totally different (great) game! There was one problem with this game, though. It would have made all the other Spectrum games of the day look and feel crap!  😂

Congratulations!! 🙂

That blue miner picture looks familiar, where it is from? 🙂

• 2 months later...