Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Unknown modern-ish JSW remake

Sendy The Endless

Legality aside, awesome job! Is it worth me uploading the full map? Is there somewhere I can store the file without it being shrunk?

Perhaps they could be used in something with the original author's blessing (and with credit to the artist, if that is not the same dude)

Symbolshift, did you get these by cutting up the map, or from the game files? I'm excited about this!

Edited by Sendy The Endless
To edit it

4 minutes ago, Sendy The Endless said:

Is it worth me uploading the full map? Is there somewhere I can store the file without it being shrunk?

Is it a real map ? As in a layout of the game rather than a sprite/bitmap 'map' as above ?

The maps topic would be good perhaps ? You can see it covers all versions, its not platform specific.

4 minutes ago, Sendy The Endless said:

Perhaps they could be used in something with the original author's blessing (and with credit to the artist, if that is not the same dude)

Yes that is worthwhile. I am actually waiting for perms on something else before I put it here even though its in a couple of other places, because the author is around other forums (afaik) but not here so I wanted to see.

1 hour ago, Sendy The Endless said:

Symbolshift, did you get these by cutting up the map, or from the game files? I'm excited about this!

A .jar file is basically an archive. You can open this with something like WinRAR. Inside that, the files ti.dat and ov.dat are just renamed .png files. The author simply disguised the files rather than encrypting any data.

I believe that Damien McFerran was only the reviewer of the game, not the developer. A review I strongly disagree with, especially the line "Willy was challenging and exciting. Standards have moved on since then." 😬

From what I can figure out...

The game was developed in 2004 by a UK software house called Numfum (now exists as Numfum GmbH in Switzerland).
Game credits go to: Paul Vera-Broadbent (lead artist?), Scott Watson, Adrian Brown and Carl Woffenden.