Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Unknown modern-ish JSW remake

Sendy The Endless

Sorry folks not been monitoring for a bit. Are you talking about the Amiga version of JSW, which used the map of JSW 2? It was written

by Stephen McMaster as I recollect, and I think his brother Darren was it? did the music. I have the original on my shelves but not

to hand, I can take pics and post them if that helps? Apologies if I am on completely the wrong track! It is a distant memory though,

it may not be 100% correct. Personally I thought it was a poor conversion of JSW / JSW 2, as soon as you lose the flip screen element ...

3 hours ago, Jet Set Willie said:

This topic was about a modern remake of JSW. I started to talk about Amiga, wishing someone could convert this modern remake to Amiga too. 🙂 Amiga could then have JSW more close to the original version. 🙂

Ah, my mistake, apologies! I just saw what looked like the original Amiga version being mentioned. I thought it was a very poor version imo, it was the map scrolling that just didn't work well, I know other people on these hallowed forums have since come up with again imo better implementations of the scrolling screen idea.

A new version of the game really ought to have some kind of game save feature to it for me anyway, especially if we are talking about a vast map of a game.

Just for everyone's reference, I am sure you have seen it before, here is the official Amiga version of JSW2

https://hol.abime.net/790

Norman, did you know anything about this version or the people behind it at the time?

Or likewise the Amiga version of Manic Miner

https://hol.abime.net/2407

Written by two of the same people, Stephen/Steve McMaster and Paul McMaster.

I am surprised at some of the generous reviews given at the time to the above games, perhaps I need to go and re-visit them myself 🙂

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 11:12 PM, Sendy The Endless said:

Here's a video of the JSW remake I'm looking for. Just a brief showcase of the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIMbiurj8ak

Sadly, there's no way of contacting the channel owner to ask him if he knows the name of it. And of course, comments are turned off > _ >

It's a pity because the way the background graphics are done perfectly fills in the details of how I imagined the JSW mansion to actually be. They even thought to include glass tiles around the orangery and banyan tree, to show that part of the house as a greenhouse.

the uploader of this video is andy noble (MM PC and JSW PC creator)

i emailed him about it a week ago and he responded with this:

"Yes, that's pretty much what that version was. I just used the graphics from the mobile version and used Matts music but rewrote the engine. It never got released as the guy who holds the copyright never returned any correspondence. Paul, who did the graphics, was happy for me to use them but didn't have the right to sign it off."

so, to clear things up;

the java mobile remake was made by numfum gmbh (the lovely graphics were drawn by paul vera-broadbent)

the JSW version shown in the linked video is a mix of the java version and the PC remake, created by andy noble (which went unreleased due to weird copyright crap, and i'm pretty sure the ending graphics shown in the video aren't in the java version)

anyway hi i've been lurking here for a bit and i just decided to join this site today, i'll post here again when i have cool stuff to show

Edited by Gyrominiac

On 1/22/2023 at 10:24 PM, SymbolShift said:

A .jar file is basically an archive. You can open this with something like WinRAR. Inside that, the files ti.dat and ov.dat are just renamed .png files. The author simply disguised the files rather than encrypting any data.

the guardian sprites are weirdly nowhere to be found in the .jar file itself (and if they are they're probably compressed to hell), but that's okay since kemulator memory view helped me with ripping those

here's a sprite sheet i made like 2 or 3 days ago (they look gorgeous, don't they?)

jswmobileguardians.png

Edited by Gyrominiac

On 1/20/2023 at 11:45 PM, Sendy The Endless said:

I was looking for this map of a JSW remake (I THINK for mobile) and finally I found it on one of my drives. I've got to say, I normally hate it when these games are remade with modern graphics, but the artist did such a good job with the decor, colour schemes and atmosphere that I just love looking at it. Does anyone know if this game is available anywhere or what it might be called? Gaze upon it, a thing of beauty!

unknown mobile remake.png

unknown mobile remake cropped.png

oh yeah, how did you get to the unused room? ("]") i'm assuming you made this map up out of screenshots of the game that you took as you went, but i'm not quite sure how you got to THAT room with that approach

EDIT: i thought for a hot 15 minutes that you made this map yourself. i'm an idiot lol

EDIT 2: never mind all that, i just found the original source of the map while poking around on tineye; http://web.archive.org/web/20130512040044/http://209.85.117.199/1250/55/0/p401311/jswpretty.jpg

worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com

oh, and this link to a forum post of some sort which may be of use if anybody can figure out how to get past the error somehow: http://web.archive.org/web/20091120215853/http://s2.zetaboards.com/worldofstuart/topic/5069076/1

Edited by Gyrominiac

13 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

Thanks for your input, Gyrominiac, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you from me too. 🙂

12 hours ago, Gyrominiac said:

oh, and this link to a forum post of some sort which may be of use if anybody can figure out how to get past the error somehow:

Unfortunately, that could be difficult as the topic is within a 'member only' or other such group, its is unlikely that archive or a search engine indexed it, unless someone purposely tweaked the robots file (if its still used these days much, or taken any notice of by searches) to masquerade as a group member not a "bot" , but that is usually punished when discovered by search engines, aka showing the "bot" something a guest cannot see.  Best option is to just search all links containing the forum URL only to see if the content is elsewhere, especially as Zeta is no more.

On a slightly different note, I'm not sure how well the wayback-machine would work with the old Yahoo group, it might of indexed some of it, but I suspect better results would be obtained perhaps with the direct URL (of the group page of interest) rather than the index pages.

I was never a member of this and only saw a few "public" pages occasionally.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:45 PM, Sendy The Endless said:

I was looking for this map of a JSW remake (I THINK for mobile) and finally I found it on one of my drives. I've got to say, I normally hate it when these games are remade with modern graphics, but the artist did such a good job with the decor, colour schemes and atmosphere that I just love looking at it. Does anyone know if this game is available anywhere or what it might be called? Gaze upon it, a thing of beauty!

unknown mobile remake.png

unknown mobile remake cropped.png

a pretty cool thing i've noticed while looking closer at this map (at least the one on the maps topic) is that the graphics are unusually crisp for being downsized by 50%, almost like whoever made it manually painted over the downsized result (which must have taken an awful lot of time)

anyhow, i'd like to say that manic miner also got a similar treatment (graphics upscaled by 2x with a whole lot of colors, no background tiles though), here's a download link: https://muckypaws.com/2015/06/07/manic-miner-reloaded-and-updated/