Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Forbidden Hallowed Grounds

Spider

.rzx of this and yes its quite easy to get over the other side of the nest, not sure why I never tried before! Its also easier to get the item this way too, if you don't mind losing a life!

Cuckoo Test.rzx

Attaching the test file used for this, this is (almost) standard JSW*** , aside from the start position being set at this temporary location the file has the following changes:

Keypad codes, messages, data and some other things removed, easier to show a pic than type it out:

keypad_and_remnant.png

The following 'core' changes are also present in the test file:

Attic Bug fixed - standard bug fix method

Conservatory Roof fire cell removed - standard bug fix method

Banyan Tree earth cell swapped for water - standard bug fix method

Single item on The Beach

First Landing item not moved to an invisible one in the hall, instead it is just removed

Different charset (loaded at 64768)

*** I've used this file as a 'base' to build from previously although now I have a much better one with concatenated sprite and room data but this is off topic here.

Re: Cuckoo's Nest, I think we might need a name for places that you can go within a room, but you don't need to. The top right platform in Top Landing is a good example, while the two to the left of it are obviously FHGs. I like these little spots and tend to think of them as an integral part of room design. They can fill up space and make rooms more interesting and less predictably functional, giving a space flavour.

I tend to call them Park Benches in my head. I put one in JSW: RR. It's in the screen "Down a Manhole", that's a narrow vertical room you descend through, but you can stop off on a little alcove with a pipe and a waterfall and for some reason I think it's a cool place to stand and maybe take a screenshot : )

This actually takes me onto the concept of ambient platformers - has anyone played the game Knytt or Knytt Stories? Most of the former and a good chunk of the latter is entirely Park Bench territory. It's a very relaxing game with lots of cozy little spots like that!

1 hour ago, Sendy The Endless said:

Re: Cuckoo's Nest, I think we might need a name for places that you can go within a room, but you don't need to. The top right platform in Top Landing is a good example, while the two to the left of it are obviously FHGs. I like these little spots and tend to think of them as an integral part of room design. They can fill up space and make rooms more interesting and less predictably functional, giving a space flavour.

Yes I agree, they do add atmosphere to the room. I am not sure on a suitable name though.

Another example maybe the 'halfrow' in Foot of MegaTree too. 🙂

1 hour ago, Sendy The Endless said:

I tend to call them Park Benches in my head. I put one in JSW: RR. It's in the screen "Down a Manhole", that's a narrow vertical room you descend through, but you can stop off on a little alcove with a pipe and a waterfall and for some reason I think it's a cool place to stand and maybe take a screenshot : )

Its always a nice touch to add a 'resting place' for the player, even though they could pause the game it is more the thought.

Following on slightly, I thought about Manic Miner...

There's one in "Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast" , two in "The Endorian Forest" and I thought there was one in "The Bank" too, but it is possible to reach the second from top right platform , just under the item (not a resting place I'd tried to visit before)

kong.png

end_1.png

end_2.png

Regarding the rightmost position in "The Endorian Forest" , I did think it was possible to get there but given the nearby fire cell above, it is not.

For MM Andy, the platforms on Processing Plant at the top of the screen have _always_ since being a child playing it then

made me think that if you could just get on to them, there was a room above them! Me and a friend used to try

to get on them, as we thought there was a hidden screen to be found. I suppose it would be easy enough if there

were a single cell invisible platform somewhere. Would the game crash if you could get up there and jump up?

9 hours ago, Sendy The Endless said:

tend to call them Park Benches in my head. I put one in JSW: RR. It's in the screen "Down a Manhole", that's a narrow vertical room you descend through, but you can stop off on a little alcove with a pipe and a waterfall and for some reason I think it's a cool place to stand and maybe take a screenshot : )

Yes, it is a very nice and atmospheric place indeed 🙂 .

On 3/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, MtM said:

Would the game crash if you could get up there and jump up?

The answer to that is: quite possibly, yes! There's a flaw in the game engine which means that if Willy jumps up above the top of a cavern, part of his sprite gets written over the data in some of the other caverns!  The precise effects of that corruption can vary (and depend on the game engine - Bug Byte or Software Projects).

Edited by IRF

Thanks for these, Andy!

In my understanding, a Forbidden Hallowed Ground (FHG) is a place where Willy could stand if he could reach it - but he can't reach it.

Based on this understanding, I believe picture No. 3 from top presenting the Deserted Isle is incorrect - Willy would die there immediately because of touching water, which is Fire. However, if you moved him one row up and one column to the right, so that he is perched on the Water cell to the left of the red tree trunk - that would indeed be an FHG.

I am not sure about picture No. 4 from top - presenting the room "cheat" - because TBH I don't remember how it works and where Willy can be and where he cannot be therein. I've just tried it by setting the starting position to that room in JSWED and Willy is perfectly fine where you show him in that room - so I don't think it is an FHG, unless it works differently in the 'real game'.

I believe the rest of the graphics are OK and indeed show FHGs.