Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Forbidden Hallowed Grounds

Spider

Thanks. 🙂

I've updated the Deserted Isle picture, and turned him around too, so he's not facing the tree.

The 'cheat' room, I've removed because I had assumed it was fire cells but the definition 'UDG' is the same for both earth and fire in that room, so I'm assuming they are actually 'earth', and in The Bow they are 'fire' hence Willy cannot normally exit leftwards.

🙂

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2023 at 4:31 AM, jetsetdanny said:

Thanks for these, Andy!

In my understanding, a Forbidden Hallowed Ground (FHG) is a place where Willy could stand if he could reach it - but he can't reach it.

Based on this understanding, I believe picture No. 3 from top presenting the Deserted Isle is incorrect - Willy would die there immediately because of touching water, which is Fire.

The same is true of two of the screen shots from original JSW on page 1 of this thread - the sea to the left of The Bow is comprised of Fire cells, as is the cross in First Landing. 

Edited by IRF

On 3/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, Spider said:

There's one in "Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast" , two in "The Endorian Forest" and I thought there was one in "The Bank" too, but it is possible to reach the second from top right platform , just under the item (not a resting place I'd tried to visit before)

Dr Andrew Broad, in his 2008 Remix of Manic Miner, forced the player to visit that spot in The Bank in order to collect (from below) the top-right item, and also made the cavern more challenging overall, simply by removing the trellis structure from the right-hand side of the cavern.  Thus forcing Willy to navigate the cavern the hard way. Ingenious!

(Although he could have added even more difficulty by moving the portal one character row higher, as that would have forced the player to jump onto the crumbly block, perilously close to the adjacent 'spider' Fire cell, in order to reach the portal - as things stand, Willy can just jump up into the portal from the mid-level water platform that is located below the platform that the portal rests on).