Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner: The Lost Levels

The-Red-Bayron

On 5/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, Rev. Stuart Campbell said:

It is a mark of how HUGELY chuffed I am about this that I ploughed through through the forum's MONUMENTALLY BROKEN signup process to post a comment.

Made a couple of adjustments for now to see how it goes. I do see one small issue still.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a short note about the Lost Levels, I have just put out Manic Miner: Deeper and Down and I learned a lot doing this as the editor gave me a lot of extra possibilities, so I was thinking of going back to the Lost Levels and making a 128K version that had 26 levels rather than the 2 versions that there are at the moment.

Just wanted some feedback on this 👍 and are there any more levels from the DS version that I missed ?

All the Best, B

Some ideas:

Why not combine all the LL  and SAM levels into one big game?

Since there are no points anymore, maybe put an extra item next to the Kong beast switches to give some incentive to the player.

Maybe increase the number of initial lives as there are no extra lives anymore.

Hi JianYang,

Thanks for the idea about making a combo, you have given me a lot of ideas and I haven't even started !!

There could be a start level where you could choose from The Lost Levels, The Deeper Caverns or Down, Down, Deeper and Down.

I would have to reduce the amount of items from The Deeper Caverns and Down, Down, Deeper and Down as the editor will not allow me to put in more items after 256.

For The Lost Levels I could get the sprites and Gameplay closer to the originals with the 128K game engine.

Any more ideas, keep them coming 👍

All the Best, B

Another another big

image.gif.fa6592ca9c8ae92d1c3c71c5bf3b3084.gif Thank You image.gif.9fb5d87694e0234fcc2b0c9fce44bee5.gif

I though that over 300 downloads was fantastic but now over 400 amazing !!

Thanks to everyone for downloading the game and hopefully enjoying it 😎

I'm planning a 128K version with all the levels and more of the extra features that I couldn't get in the 48K

All the Best, B

On 6/7/2024 at 6:39 PM, JianYang said:

Maybe increase the number of initial lives as there are no extra lives anymore.

Using the JSW64 game engine, it is possible (and easy) to add extra lives.

I would just caution against adding too many of them, in order to avoid what happens e.g. in "Terry The Turtle", where it is actually necessary to lose lives during the gameplay to prevent potential game corruption. Initially, the player has 7 visible spare lives, with 4 more appearing as extras are gained. With the 15th spare life acquired, flickering begins on the bottom left turtle icon. Subsequent extra lives cause flickering on additional turtles. Once the life count exceeds 28, room name display is affected, with letters disappearing starting from the left. Having more than 28 lives can slow down or crash the game due to issues like paths blocked by "rogue" cells. Therefore, it is advisable (especially if you're playing using Rollback or saving/loading snapshots and do not normally lose lives) to repeatedly commit suicide throughout the game, especially when the life count approaches 28.