Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner: The Lost Levels

The-Red-Bayron

I'm pretty sure trampoline cells are a standard feature in the JSW64 game engine. They have been used in some released games. I don't know if they work exactly like the ones in the SAM Coupé version, but even if they don't, it's certainly better to use them than not to use any kind of 'trampoline-like' cell where they should be (as per the original version).

Thanks for the welcome and the tip about the JSW64 game engines I will definitely check this out as I have tried to get the 128K version working in the editor and it seems to garble the music and text?

As for the "The Deeper Caverns" here are the working drafts for the first 3 levels only 17 to go !!

image.png.407621036f352b15b2602df94df115e2.png

Thanks to everyone for there support and interest 🕹️😎

I like what you're doing with the levels graphically - it's definitely a lot more effort than I put into it when porting them to Redux (a PC remake; in general I didn't create or use graphics that weren't in the Spectrum games). I notice you've also made the same change to Cheese-Plant that I did (moving the key out of the corner so it can be collected).

We did have a big discussion over how to handle The Pink People Eaters with the original physics, as the way it is in the SAM Coupe relies on being able to stand half on solid ground and half on a nasty without death, which isn't possible in the original game. I have it implemented like this now:

ppe.png

Naturally other parts of this will be different in your implementation, but it's something to consider.

It looks great so far and I'd definitely be interested in stealing borrowing your sprite work when I work on this side of things again.

That's funny, last week I was randomly thinking of that DS game and then completed it. I was especially interested in the exclusive levels made for it and tried translating them in spectrum version. However, the DS has a slightly bigger screen which makes it quite awkward to do.

Spoiler

doyouknowhowtomadison.jpg.40a61f5c5e85e4ac232879eb244adfe9.jpgdoyouknowhowtomadison.PNG.f3508b9f2983482b5ac71697127c7f36.PNG

On 4/27/2024 at 11:50 PM, jetsetdanny said:

I'm pretty sure trampoline cells are a standard feature in the JSW64 game engine. They have been used in some released games. I don't know if they work exactly like the ones in the SAM Coupé version, but even if they don't, it's certainly better to use them than not to use any kind of 'trampoline-like' cell where they should be (as per the original version).

They are pretty different. SAM Coupé trampolines' main purpose is cancelling your fall damage which JSW64 tramp cells don't do. They just make you jump when you're standing on them which SAM Coupé trampolines also don't do.

The JSW64 engine can totally handle "The Space Shuttle" or "Back to Work" though.

I'm sure patches could be devised in JSW64 which replicated both the safely-break-a-long-fall trampoline and the vacuum descent blocks. Even if they involved an adjustment to Willy's air fall counter, etc, based on a check of Willy's coordinates compared against a hardwired value (the air cells just above the blocks in question), rather than recreating generic new block types and associated major changes to the game engine. (Though the latter would be preferable if you wanted to create brand new caverns and employ the new blocks elsewhere.)

On 4/29/2024 at 8:03 PM, IRF said:

safely-break-a-long-fall trampoline

I think that's it really , in that it does not matter how far MW falls if he hits one of these, he's safe (and bounces back up a bit) very similar to Dynamite Dan

On 4/29/2024 at 8:03 PM, IRF said:

vacuum descent

This just sort of makes him fall a lot faster , I can't recall -if- there's anything else to prevent a fatality with the fall as I do remember one cavern had this near the top, so he'd fall say 2/3rds the way down.

Sorry the above is a bit vague.

It is a mark of how HUGELY chuffed I am about this that I ploughed through through the forum's MONUMENTALLY BROKEN signup process to post a comment. The original idea for The Lost Levels was in fact to do it on the Speccy, so it's absolutely brilliant to see it finally come home all these years later. The DS version is my favourite gaming-related thing I've ever been involved with, and now the journey feels complete. Great work 🙂

PS Eddie's Forest isn't an original DS level, it's actually taken from the Acorn Archimedes port.

Edited by Rev. Stuart Campbell