MtM
Contributor-
Posts
316 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by MtM
-
Is there much we do not know about the Spectrum? Enough to warrant a 'documentary'? Either way it looks to be well funded at the moment. I watched From Bedrooms to Billions, it was okay. I would like to see a documentary about Matthew Smith and the creation of MM and JSW! And a few tempter screens right at the end of JSW 3 in production 😉 Thanks for the heads up Paolo and as has been said, welcome!
-
Adam Britton's three 1985 JSW games - some mysteries revealed
MtM replied to jetsetdanny's topic in Remakes
I did search for Adam Britton using duckduckgo Danny, is he something to do with crocodiles now? Either way, it is impressive that in a year or so, 1985, he managed to put out 3 modified versions of JSW. Presumably he developed them directly on the Spectrum itself, though I guess he could of used other computers at the time if he had access. I note the new tune in two of them, was this the first instance of this tune, and can anyone say what the tune is supposed to be, i.e. in the original we all know it is If I were a Rich Man, etc, but I do not think I recognise what this tune is supposed to be? I know others have used it in their JSW games etc, including one of yours Danny, I was playing the other day, I forget which one it was now, the tune changes as you get so far on the first screen? -
I got the first three right I did so I figured I am worthy to be here ... 🙂
-
Adam Britton's three 1985 JSW games - some mysteries revealed
MtM replied to jetsetdanny's topic in Remakes
Excellent work as usual Danny, someday 100 years from now we will all be gone but this will live on! -
I don't think I have ever seen a version of MM Andy that needed a colour code like the original JSW. I remember Lode Runner, the Spectrum version I think, needing a colour code, also published by Software Projects (not a bad version either, not as good as the C64 version mainly down to not being able to manipulate the guards like you could in the C64 version) I can't think of any other games that needed colour codes - I daresay there is a forum thread about games that had colour codes somewhere on Spectrum Forums.
-
I didn't make it in the end, oh well. If anyone knows of any good links to things that happened and pictures etc. then please feel free to share them here.
-
Yes it is, but no one seems to be going. I doubt I will now Andy. Too much to do this weekend now. Oh well. Maybe next year? Unless anyone _is_ going after all? Who knows, if the weather is good Sunday I may make it up there...
-
Superb dedicated work that Danny! Thank you!
-
Good work by Bob, but I found the new Central Cavern too hard 😉
-
I love the spirit of the game description Norman! Not just because it probably applies to us all well middle aged men now on here, but because it stays true to the days of buying a game on tape, and there only being limited room for about a paragraph of narrative as to what the situation was regarding the game, the backstory if you will. Bravo!
- 58 replies
-
- full screen
- final escapade
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I must download these games! Thank you Danny. I had heard of them but there are _so_ many mods etc. and so little time to play them all. Could I be extremely lazy and ask you provide a link to the one you think is best or biggest please? Bear in mind I like easier maps for exploring over rock hard room design 😉 Thanks again!
-
This looks excellent! There is real scope here to make a modern combination of a standalone JSW if you want, and maybe a combined version of all the official Miner W games, into one big map, linking them all properly. It would be work, but say for instance all the official rooms were combined into a big map, there could be a room where say you enter the Central Cavern then have to play through all 20 screens before you escape into a room back in JSW etc. I think it could be awesome! Just my opinion anyway, but I hope you get it all into a releasable state for the public. Please post it here too! Spider makes a good point about the Amiga version of JSW, I still have the original of it here on my shelves, it too used scrolling, it was atrocious, one of the worst games ever ported to the Amiga, and I love JSW like everyone here, so scrolling in itself is not just a gameplay feature that guarantees a 'better' game, it needs to be done well like it seems to be here, and adds to the game.
-
I used to play the bass. I was reasonably good, a lot better than I was at programming 😉 What kind of bass is it Ian, i.e. what make? There is one electric bassist, Jaco, and then there is everyone else. The Matthew Smith of electric bass playing.
-
A sad time for all Sinclair fans and people who started out in the 80s. A man at least partially before his time. Good to see IRF back on the forums too 🙂
-
I will have to see this new ending! 😉
- 14 replies
-
- manic miner
- cbm64
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Welcome to the forums Toki! You are most welcome indeed! As a regular browser of csbd.dk I am not quite sure how I have managed to miss this, unless I have simply forgotten about it. It is excellent, just been playing it on vice. Very accurate it appears gameplay wise, excellent music too, it does have the charm of the original ZX version, and is much better than the official original port of MM on the C64, which is okay, but not in this league. Thank you!
- 14 replies
-
- manic miner
- cbm64
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
a) not on FB. In truth Andy I am just thinking of the folks off here really, as it is such a small, close knit group of people who post etc. b) doesn't look like it is going to happen tbh JSDanny. A pity. I will potentially go myself, and if anyone nearer the time wants to meet up then fine.
-
Hello JSW & MM fans! Just a reminder, this is only next month! Has anyone got any ideas yet if they may go? Even if we are not having a stall, which is probably far too late now, we could still meet up. Just a thought.
-
I played the contents of the archive a bit. The music is the best thing about it. Not knocking the game too much because I could not of made it, but in truth, it is fairly unrewarding to play.
-
Title says it all really. Are you okay IRF? Or just on holiday?
-
Watching the version of JSW 2 + being completed was good, when I finished it, just got the unplayable Central Cavern ending. Is there a link to that version with the Well Done screen on this site? I must of missed it if there is. Personally Norman I am glad the maze section didn't make it into the final game for what it is worth.
-
Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated. I was looking really for a personal recommendation, but in the end I followed JSDanny's advice and link to the MM section of his excellent website and had a go at MM2 and MM2! 😉 I will continue to explore that.
-
I can imagine the stress of a speedrun is terrible!
-
I think this should be in the Olympics 😉