Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Jet Set Willy: The Nightmare Edition

Spider

Thank you for the feedback @MtM and @Spider, very much appreciated. Also thanks for the mod recommendations.

Please keep up the good work and keep us updated with your latest videos of MM & JSW 🙂

Sure thing. I probably won't be making many new MM/JSW videos for the time being, but my YouTube channel does have quite a few other Miner Willy videos on it that may be worth flagging up. I'm guessing the Site Links section would be better for sharing those?

2 hours ago, RuffledBricks said:

How DARE you!

It would actually have been an even more impressive performance if you had done that - making those precise, pixel-perfect and perfectly-timed jumps would be almost impossible with a fast-running emulator, I believe.

I won't 'spoiler' it in advance, but if anyone is curious as to how RuffledBricks managed to complete the original Jet Set Willy in under 2.5 mins, with the machine running at normal speed and without using any POKES, then check out this link:

10 hours ago, andrewbroad said:

^ Awesome! That must have taken a lot of planning.

My goodness, mustn't it just - RB, please, explain how you organised that if you would be so kind? Presumably

a list somewhere in your eyeline with the rooms on in order you need to go to? I have never seen anything like

it! Incredibly impressive.

Thanks all.

7 hours ago, MtM said:

My goodness, mustn't it just - RB, please, explain how you organised that if you would be so kind? Presumably

a list somewhere in your eyeline with the rooms on in order you need to go to? I have never seen anything like

it! Incredibly impressive.

The way I came up with the route was by going through every room containing items and listing whereabouts on the screen each item is positioned. From that list, I managed to map out a route based on which items are in similar positions to each other on screen and just worked from there.

I did write up the route into note form, but by the time I recorded the above video I was very much 'off book' and just did it all from memory. It took a lot of attempts over several streams to get a run this quick though, and even then there's a couple of moments towards the end where I feel I lose momentum a bit.

2 hours ago, JianYang said:

@RuffledBricks

So I've finally watched it. This is pure zen. How did you even get the idea to try this?

Speedrunner brain innit. I'd already completed normal speedruns of JSW and MM, and was looking for ways to spice it up. I discovered the Writetyper cheat, gave it a try and suddenly thought "Okay, I wonder how quick you can get the game with this."

I hope this hasn't gone too off topic btw, I don't really know what the forum rules are yet...

On 1/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, RuffledBricks said:

Thank you for the feedback @MtM and @Spider, very much appreciated. Also thanks for the mod recommendations.

Sure thing. I probably won't be making many new MM/JSW videos for the time being, but my YouTube channel does have quite a few other Miner Willy videos on it that may be worth flagging up. I'm guessing the Site Links section would be better for sharing those?

Yes that may be the ideal location. It should by default attempt to parse / show the video but there's a black banner in the editing window for each one you post in to turn it into a link if you prefer.

As a sidenote too many 'live' ones in a post can cause browser issues but this is rare (seems to effect those using I.E most)

But I'd love to see some in a post/topic. 🙂

On 1/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, IRF said:

I won't 'spoiler' it in advance, but if anyone is curious as to how RuffledBricks managed to complete the original Jet Set Willy in under 2.5 mins, with the machine running at normal speed and without using any POKES, then check out this link:

OMG 😮

8 hours ago, MtM said:

Incredibly impressive.

I fully concur.

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Yes that may be the ideal location. It should by default attempt to parse / show the video but there's a black banner in the editing window for each one you post in to turn it into a link if you prefer.

As a sidenote too many 'live' ones in a post can cause browser issues but this is rare (seems to effect those using I.E most)

But I'd love to see some in a post/topic. 🙂

Cool, I'll start a post in Site Links to discuss MW speedrunning further. Thanks for confirming!