Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

Thanks for all these Ian, 

I fixed Willy's starting position already but thanks anyway

I can see i'm going to be a bit busier than i originally intended, yes with the start of the game i did always think the tune was a bit haphazard getting going somehow but never could quite put my finger on exactly what i was or wasn't hearing, thanks for the heads up on that one.

Thanks in particular to the tip for the encroaching rope, up until now i've not been able to create a room with a rope in so this will be a great help

With regards to the routine where Maria raises her arm when Willy walks up the ramp or just jumps up in the air my thoughts here are that Matt probably knew what he was doing here; as Maria is on a raised part of the floor and is looking straight ahead and simply doesn't notice Willy until he 'puts his head above the parapet' or simply gets up close and personal and so she waves him away only when she notices .. that's my theory anyway, i'm thinking that perhaps i could include something alternative once i have released my 1st playtestable

I think this is a routine that in JSW2 they tried to improve but actually, in my opinion looks a bit botched, when Willy jumps up, Maria tucks her hand back in again .. doesn't seem right, i think they could have left it as it was or just make Maria flap her hand about when Willy is at her height or higher

Now that we've just about debugged Matty's creation to within an inch of it's life, i'm now looking to make one last improvement before i tidy up a few loose ends on the screens: 

With the clock now functioning correctly i'm looking to perhaps make it run a bit faster. Willy gets 17 hours to complete his chores,  currently in Willy's world one minute is about 25 seconds meaning that in the real world we get around 8 hours to complete the game. I think that even without taking into account the modern emulator era it's not much of a challenge. I've not yet timed how long my RZX of TNE runs for but perhaps i'm looking around twice the length of it's duration to give a would be novice a fair crack at it. (not that i'm exactly an expert myself)

We doubled the speed of the digital clock in The Nightmare Edition, it's quite easy once you know how.  Answer below, with a spoiler box inserted in case you want to try and figure it out for yourself:

You need an AND #7F gate immediately after the 'tick' counter (#85CB) has been updated in the Main Loop (just before the conditional jump at #8A50).

:)

Some other minor things that we 'fixed' in TNE - the capitalisation and centralisation of some of the room names.  Some of them seemed to have been a bit of a rushed job in the original JSW release (e.g. "A bit of tree" instead of "A Bit of Tree")  We also moved the room names down a row on the status bar, which looks tidier.  Arguably, the current room name should disappear before the Game Over screen is drawn too.

Am i the last person to notice that on completion of the game it's possible to use WRITETYPER force Willy to effectively run all over the house before making his way to the toilet? In addition, when he does get his head firmly lodged in the bowl you can look at the other levels in his absence

I never thought of those possibilities - good thinking!

The other 'illogical exit' of course is left of 'Out On A Limb' the exits from here and 'On A Branch Over The Drive' both lead to the 'Front Door' (and an infinite death), I'm working on a number of possible solutions here

In JSW2 if you jump left from "Out On A Limb" you go to "Without A Limb" a completely empty screen and you then fall to the Front Door. :D

Am i the last person to notice that on completion of the game it's possible to use WRITETYPER force Willy to effectively run all over the house before making his way to the toilet? In addition, when he does get his head firmly lodged in the bowl you can look at the other levels in his absence 

No. :) I've done this. Its possible to switch game modes too when he's reached his um "target" and resume play too.

POKE 34271,0 (resume play!)

POKE 34271,2 , (make him 'run')

Was hoping to release my finished article tonight, however, I was

going through a final playtest when i came up against an unexpected snag..

Try putting in the 'Don't Lose Your Head' corrective routine to stop Willy being able to partially walk through walls, then make your way to the Forgotten Abbey and collect the item.. does anyone come up against the same problem as I do?