Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

Metalmickey, on 20 Jan 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

Am i the last person to notice that on completion of the game it's possible to use WRITETYPER force Willy to effectively run all over the house before making his way to the toilet? In addition, when he does get his head firmly lodged in the bowl you can look at the other levels in his absence

Oddly enough if you re-introduce the attic bug at this point Willy can still be killed even though he's not even in the room!

Not fair - poor Willy!! :lol:

Am i the last person to notice that on completion of the game it's possible to use WRITETYPER force Willy to effectively run all over the house before making his way to the toilet? In addition, when he does get his head firmly lodged in the bowl you can look at the other levels in his absence

Oddly enough if you re-introduce the attic bug at this point Willy can still be killed even though he's not even in the room!

Yes that's normal. :)

In mode3 he's reached the toilet. If you set it to mode2 he will run right until he reaches it, this obviously does not quite work if he's not on that level (if you set it on say Kitchen) as he'd just run right until he collided with something or could not move further right.

34271,0 = Game in progress

34271,1 = Game in progress but he has collected all the items (used to remove Maria and determine what to do when he reaches the bed)

34271,2 = He has touched the bed. At this point he's made to run right until he reaches it (it checks to see if he's in the Bathroom and if he's at pos 28, aka 'the toilet)

34272,3 = He is in the toilet (animate the legs)

Am i the last person to notice that on completion of the game it's possible to use WRITETYPER force Willy to effectively run all over the house before making his way to the toilet?

No, there are, regretfully, a couple of billion people on this planet who have never even played "Jet Set Willy"  :lol: .

One other minor bug (not documented by SkoolKid) - the very first note of the in-game tune is missed out at the start of the game.

The program keeps track of where it's up to with the tune, via the Music Note Index (#85E1), which is incremented during every pass through the Main Loop (see #8B43).

However, #85E1 is incremented before its value is used to determine which note to play, so the first note is missed out until one rendition of the whole tune has been played.

The value of #85E1 is initialised to '00' at #87CE.  If it is initialised to 'FF' instead, then the first note of the tune is picked up at the beginning of each game.

Suggested POKES to implement the above in the next build:

At #87CF, insert 'DF'.

At #87DD, insert 'CD 18 97'.

At #9718, insert '3D 32 E1 85 C9'.

It only makes a subtle difference but you can tell that the tune no longer starts 'abruptly' with the above patch in place.  (Incidentally, I've PM'd SkoolKid about this and he intends to add an entry about this, the next time he updates his disassembly.)

Also, if you want to ensure that the default status of the in-game music is On at the start of each game (even if the player switched the music Off during the course of the previous game), then you can do this by simply inserting the following at #880E-#8812: '3E 01 32 E2 85'.

Actually, I've just noticed that the default status of the music is OFF when you first load up the game.  It should be ON by default.

This caused me great puzzlement for a while, but I've finally managed to figure out what's going on.  The value stored at #85E2 in the game code is '02', rather than '00'.  So Bit 1 is set at load-up by default, causing the music to be off when you first press ENTER to play.  (In subsequent games, it retains the ON or OFF status which it was left with when the previous game came to an end.)

I'm guessing that you must have built your game upon a snapshot, which was taken at a point when the music was set to off?

In fact, for elegance, all of the game variables from #85CB to #85E4 inclusive, should really be given values of '00' in the release candidate's game code.

Although in practice, most of those variables are correctly initialised by the routine at #87CA as soon as the game is loaded up.  (Otherwise the game would commence, after loading, with Willy located in whichever room/coordinates/etc, he was at when you took the original snapshot!!)

Edited by IRF

One other thing Mickey, for a bit of fun...

If I may be so bold, I am going to try and predict something personal, based upon my reading of your game code.

It seems to me that you tend to play JSW using your left hand to press 'Q' and 'W' for Left and Right respectively, rather than 'O' and 'P' using your right hand (as I do).

Am I correct?  ;)

(If not, then I would hazard a guess that it is true of whoever created the snapshot, upon which I presume you based your gamefile?)

Edited by IRF

Referring to the music being off by default when starting the game, this seemed to come about after implementing a fix, i can't remember which one it was, it might even have been an attempt to follow one of your instructions to get that first 'beep' of the ingame tune although i just assumed it was just me holding down 'Enter' too long. I frequently test the game out on ol' rubber-keys which, over the years has lost a bit of sensitivity in it's keyboard membrane so i have a habit of mashing the enter button...

With regard to my keyboard preference it depends on what i am playing it on, ol' rubber-keys has recently spent a few days in bits and is now on it's 4th ULA ... so of late i have been using spectaculator which means that i do indeed gravitate towards the 'Q', 'W' and space for jump keys,  don't ask me why but when using it on the speccy i go for the cursor keys .. (possibly due to years of joystick deprivation in the 80s)