Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

It looks like all of the items in Conservatory Roof can be collected without dying, but you need to do a standing jump on the conveyor (you have to walk left (i.e. upstream), stop pressing the Left key for exactly one time-frame, and then press it again, and keep it pressed whilst you jump!)

I've downloaded the file (thanks Mickey!) but I haven't had chance for more than a cursory glance yet.  I will do as soon as I get a chance!

EDIT: I've now double-checked those Conservatory Roof items - they can all be collected safely.

On the other hand, it might now be too easy to acquire them - Willy can now jump through from the outside of the ramp to the inside and land on one of the green water cells - this means that there is now no need to climb up the Banyan Tree/A Bit of Tree in order to get there.

P.S.  The conveyor in there looks good - much better than the solid white affair that Matt Smith left in place!

Edited by IRF

Tried numerous solutions including the above, also considered putting the item in a recess and adding another ledge below but this, in my opinion, deviates too far from the original layout, so i decided to just replace the earth cell with a water cell, 2 reasons for this:

1: As you mentioned above we would be relying on the player to exploit a bug for more accurately a quirk allowing Willy to jump through earth cells

2: As you rightly mention, looking at the room with the water cell in place it looks more in keeping with the original design, i could even go as far as to say that it might have been a bit of an oversight to put an earth cell there given that all of the other ledges in the room are water cells. One would barely even notice the difference

Interestingly, if you try the same jump as I demonstrated before, with the Water cell in place instead of the Earth block, Willy is killed at the end of his fall - even though he has fallen the same distance in both cases!

3. Excellent use of #47 :) Although the right exit is not yet defined (set to self)......

I guess i should have made a suggestion to play the game rather than look at it in an editor so as to avoid a spoiler :P

when you're actually in the room you'll see that there's method to my madness

as part of my fix i have removed all (likely) illogical exits throughout the entire game, even those that you can't normally access without cheating (infinite jump etc), there are a number of reasons why i did this but mainly:

1) I think it's probably something similar to what Mr Smith would have done had he had more time to playtest it more thoroughly

2) When cheating or debugging it saves the hassle of navigating back to the room you exited from, even if in some cases it might leave you stuck in an earth cell or even in an infinite death loop, in most cases it worked out better for me

3) In my view it makes editing a whole lot easier when jumping from one room to another, especially if you are moving to adjacent rooms and mistakenly move one room too far to the left

Edited by Metalmickey

It looks like all of the items in Conservatory Roof can be collected without dying, but you need to do a standing jump on the conveyor (you have to walk left (i.e. upstream), stop pressing the Left key for exactly one time-frame, and then press it again, and keep it pressed whilst you jump!)

I've downloaded the file (thanks Mickey!) but I haven't had chance for more than a cursory glance yet.  I will do as soon as I get a chance!

EDIT: I've now double-checked those Conservatory Roof items - they can all be collected safely.

On the other hand, it might now be too easy to acquire them - Willy can now jump through from the outside of the ramp to the inside and land on one of the green water cells - this means that there is now no need to climb up the Banyan Tree/A Bit of Tree in order to get there.

P.S.  The conveyor in there looks good - much better than the solid white affair that Matt Smith left in place!

Thanks for pointing this out, pretty glaring oversight on my part.

Something that i have added to my 'to do list' for the second release

Thanks for pointing this out, pretty glaring oversight on my part.

Something that i have added to my 'to do list' for the second release

One easy way to resolve it would be to place an item in the right-hand half of 'A Bit of Tree'. That would force the player to climb up that way.

It might also provide an opportunity to utilise one of the unused-but-defined-by-Matt Smith item patterns (if you haven't already used them all - I noticed some of them have been placed in the new rooms).

Edited by IRF

Well as you may have noticed i have mirror imaged the firecells and items and swapped their places making the 4 bottles collectible but in doing so i have left them easily accessible from the stairs, yes i could add something in 'A Bit of Tree' but my intention is to make sure the Conservatory roof is sufficiently challenging. I have a plan which may work...  

By the way, I like the new rooms - there are some nice puzzles amongst them.  :)

However, I did notice an unfair Infinite Death Scenario which can occur if you jump rightwards from 'Tree Top', from a position as far right as Willy can walk on the rightmost Water cell on that screen.  (Which is quite a reasonable manoeuvre for the player to attempt, since it's a 'leap into the unknown'.)  But that could be solved easily, by raising up the leftmost Water cell in 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' by one cell-row.

Edited by IRF

By the way, I like the new rooms - there are some nice puzzles amongst them.  :)

However, I did notice an unfair Infinite Death Scenario which can occur if you jump rightwards from 'Tree Top', from a position as far right as Willy can walk on the rightmost Water cell on that screen.  (Which is quite a reasonable manoeuvre for the player to attempt, since it's a 'leap into the unknown'.)  But that could be solved easily, by raising up the leftmost Water cell in 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' by one cell-row.

Interesting point, i had already altered the water cells so as to allow Willy to jump from almost any position on that far right hand cell and still have a safe landing in the adjacent room with the only exception being if he was to stand right on the edge as you found out.

I'm thinking of doing something different with 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' anyhow, it looks a bit messy .. going to have a rethink

Metalmickey, on 20 Jan 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

Am i the last person to notice that on completion of the game it's possible to use WRITETYPER force Willy to effectively run all over the house before making his way to the toilet? In addition, when he does get his head firmly lodged in the bowl you can look at the other levels in his absence

I never thought of those possibilities - good thinking!

Oddly enough if you re-introduce the attic bug at this point Willy can still be killed even though he's not even in the room!