Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Automated generation of Manic Miner speedrun/walkthrough

crem

11 hours ago, MtM said:

Just out of interest, are there any mods etc. of JSW or even JSWII that feature crumbling platforms? I still can hardly believe I had never realised that before consciously...

The answer is "yes", but the number of such games depends on what you define as a JSW mode, I guess.

Each of the six existing variants of the JSW64 game engine (called  V, W, X, Y, Z and [), created by John Elliott as a 128K extension of the original JSW game engine, allows the use of crumbling floors, which behave just like in "Manic Miner". So any game created using this engine can have crumbling floors.

I don't recall off the top of my head if JSW64, which was the first game to use this new engine, has them. Since it was meant to demonstrate the various new abilities offered by the JSW64 game engine, I am pretty sure it has crumbling floors somewhere, as a proof of concept if nothing else, so to speak.

JSW64: Manic Miner obviously has a lot of crumbling floors, as it is "Manic Miner" rendered using the JSW64 game engine. Whether it's a mod of JSW is debatable - that's why I said the answer to your question probably depends on what you define as a JSW mode.

There are numerous instances of use of crumbling floors among the other games made using the JSW64 game engine that have been released so far. Their (hopefully) complete list is here.

Furthermore, there are also crumbling floors in Vidar Eriksen (Erix1)'s game "Maria vs. Some Bastards" and in his game "Manic Mining Robot's Day Out", the latter being a "secret bonus crap game" attached to the former title. Vidar modified the original JSW48 game engine in his own way to allow these, and many other, additional features.

13 hours ago, MtM said:

If it makes your task easier then that is good though. JSW II + would be an even better challenge after JSW 😉

It was a bit of an overstatement from my side to say JSW will be easier. There is surely much more work to do and also much more computation time is needed. So overall JSW is surely harder, but the missing crumbling platforms aspect makes at least one aspect easier.

14 hours ago, MtM said:

This should be exciting anyway when it happens. Maybe a challenge could take place between RB and your AI Crem, live on the internet, to complete JSW in the fastest time, who will win? 😉

Well, the entire effort is/was intended to help speedrunners to find new strats. For MM I wasn't even going to generate the best possible score, it was to find new ideas. It's a scoreboard on this forum that turned me a bit into the "beat the score" direction 😛, but I didn't feel it like a "competition" either.

Similarly, with JSW I mainly want to help with finding new strats for human speedrunners. Actually @RuffledBricks recently said that he considers JSW done and there's no point in running it again unless there are new strats. So I'd consider a project a success if it will be possible to make RuffledBricks run JSW again. 🙂

As for human vs script run, as with any human vs TAS run, there's no really point in doing that. Script will know the optimal route and will execute it perfectly, it's not something that people can (or should) compete against.

16 hours ago, MtM said:

This should be exciting anyway when it happens. Maybe a challenge could take place between RB and your AI Crem, live on the internet, to complete JSW in the fastest time, who will win? 😉

I already got beaten in an MM speedrun race against someone playing the PC version. Why is everyone so eager to see me do Miner Willy races that I'm blatantly going to lose?

During last 3 days, I had five "the final" runs of Level 19, and after every run (which takes ~12 hours) I realized there's a typo or another silly bug in my code. The last such attempt finished a few hours ago. I'll probably take some pause before doing yet another attempt, but for now here is one more interesting lvl19 attempt.

Score=1127 (6 points below the current best), but even less sun exposure, only 148 points.

Interesting that there are so many different ways to route this level (with 70 frame length difference), which end up having the similar score (within 10 points).

I don't think that the order of collection of the upper two items* makes a difference in terms of distance travelled.  The slower completion time in the latest video must arise from having to wait around for longer this time for the guardians to be in the right place.  And that 'hanging around' for longer more than outweighs the reduction in solar exposure, it seems.

(*In contrast, collecting the bottom-right item first evidently makes a big difference - because Willy's starting position is quite close to that item, so if you don't take the opportunity early on to collect it first, then later on Willy will have to walk all the way across the bottom of the cavern and back again, in order to do grab it.)

The program I provide here (Was) a fully functioning game. I have deliberately destroyed the part that can be played. The file provided is only for the purpose of demonstrating Manic Miner being auto played.

To auto play this version of Manic Miner press "K" while on the title screen. A sub menu will appear.

Use the keys "Z" and "X" to select a cavern.
Press ENTER to play the cavern --- (The cavern can not be played- in this version)
Press "L" to Auto play the cavern.

If the cavern selected is the first cavern, then pressing "L" to auto play, will play the whole game.

Normal keys for pause.

Normal keys to abort.
Normal keys for movement. - ( the cavern can not be played )

The auto play will complete the game with a score of 39526

AUTOplay.tap

AutoPlay.png

Edited by Norman Sword
adding picture