Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

ZX Spectrum speedrun marathon (Aug 6th-8th)

RuffledBricks

Hi all. Slight bit of self-promo here, but UK Speedrunner Gathering have decided to host an entirely ZX Spectrum themed speedrun mini-marathon. It'll be from Aug 6th-8th (from 6pm BST each night), and will feature the entire original Miner Willy series being ran in various forms, including a few runs from myself. Full schedule is below:

https://horaro.org/uksgmini/zx21
image.thumb.png.dec709b968afa59fb1dbd6fcf9817c04.png

The whole marathon will be streamed from UKSG's Twitch channel here:

https://www.twitch.tv/uksg_marathon

I believe it's the first time ever that an entirely Spectrum-based speedrun event has been held, so please do drop in if you're free. Personally, it's the most risk of high stakes Game Overs I've ever had in one marathon, so I'm just hoping I can complete all my runs with a modicum of dignity. 😅

14 hours ago, MtM said:

I think this should be in the Olympics 😉

If this was the Olympics then I'd definitely be dropping out for mental health reasons after my MM run yesterday!

Part 2 is tonight (6pm), and features the long-awaited [citation needed] WRITETYPER race between me and DigitalDuck. 

19 minutes ago, Spider said:

I was not able to watch. 😞 Sorry.

I did try to have a look at the twich link earlier (on a phone) but it just made the browser lock up. The other link showed me the 'players' as such but what were the results ? 🙂

Well, I can only speak for my own runs, so I will:

Manic Miner - ended up resetting the run twice within the first three levels due to an unexpected attack of stage fright. Third attempt went well. Came in at 19 mins altogether.

Jet Set Willy Any% - game overed twice. Messed up Cold Store completely due to another attack of nerves, and missed the second item in Tree Root that pretty much forced a reset. Fortunately, I had some save states prepared, so we got it done. Came in at just under 26 mins altogether.

Jet Set Willy WRITETYPER race - nailed it first time. Came in at 2:34 and won the race.

Yazzie - went very well (11 mins), but this is a comfort zone speedrun for me, so I knew I would be safe with this one.

So yeah, it's been a mixed bag for me so far performance-wise. Tonight I've got JSW2+'s Cartography Room Item run and A Day In The Life (the Clive Sinclair simulator), so hopefully I'll be able to end on a high with those.

Edited by RuffledBricks