Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

ZX Spectrum speedrun marathon (Aug 6th-8th)

RuffledBricks

Thank you very much.

The last two runs I did were fine. Cartography Room came in at 3:40, and I scraped through A Day In The Life with one life to spare (an improvement on my UKSG Summer run in which I actually Game Overed on the last screen).

All three days of the marathon can be viewed as VODs here:
https://www.twitch.tv/uksg_marathon/videos

One thing to be aware of is that there were significant tech issues for the first half of Day 1, so you will find noticeable audio and visual problems for the first four or five runs or the marathon. Everything else was largely fine.

Congratulations on your last two performances, RuffledBricks! 👍

I have watched your initial Jet Set Willy Any% (with two Game Over screens - I opened two drinks following your suggestion 😉). It was nice to hear your commentary interspersed with one by DigitalDuck. I was suprised at the way you did the "Tree Top", especially that it's faster than doing it the way I'm used to (going around and dropping down to the main floor level on the left).

I also watched excerpts from DigitalDuck's run of "Jet Set Willy 2+". Again, it was interesting to hear your joint commentary on it. It was particularly interesting to see this relatively new version played and discussed. I will go back and watch more of it if/when time allows, as well as your JSW race against DigitalDuck 🙂 .

Watching the version of JSW 2 + being completed was good, when I finished it, just got the unplayable Central Cavern ending. Is there a link to that

version with the Well Done screen on this site? I must of missed it if there is.

Personally Norman I am glad the maze section didn't make it into the final game for what it is worth.

Intrigued by your comments, MtM, I fast forwarded DigitalDuck's walkthrough of "Jet Set Willy II+" to the end and saw what happened. 

I have no reason to think that DigitalDuck's walkthrough used any other version than the Ve22 rv1 that Andy mentioned.

He got the "lovely" "Well Done" screen after killing Willy in the Central Cavern (after entering it for a second time, with 330 items collected).

I also re-entered the Central Cavern in my walkthrough, but I didn't try to kill myself (=Willy), so didn't get the "Well Done" screen. I didn't know you had to kill Willy to get this final message. I am pretty sure I can still do it - I'll have to dig up my RZX walkthrough where I can roll back to just before the end and try it. I'll do it when time permits and report back.

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2021 at 5:54 AM, jetsetdanny said:

Intrigued by your comments, MtM, I fast forwarded DigitalDuck's walkthrough of "Jet Set Willy II+" to the end and saw what happened. 

I have no reason to think that DigitalDuck's walkthrough used any other version than the Ve22 rv1 that Andy mentioned.

He got the "lovely" "Well Done" screen after killing Willy in the Central Cavern (after entering it for a second time, with 330 items collected).

I also re-entered the Central Cavern in my walkthrough, but I didn't try to kill myself (=Willy), so didn't get the "Well Done" screen. I didn't know you had to kill Willy to get this final message. I am pretty sure I can still do it - I'll have to dig up my RZX walkthrough where I can roll back to just before the end and try it. I'll do it when time permits and report back.

Sorry for the bump:

Yes, I'm using the standard +e.22 version, as posted above. I believe you're only required to reach Central Cavern and die to get the WELL DONE screen, I don't think 100% is necessary.

This marathon was one of the more fun ones and it's a shame we haven't been able to do another like it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 6:54 AM, jetsetdanny said:

Thanks for your recent message, DigitalDuck.

I've just tried it. I tried killing Willy in the Central Cavern both after entering it for the first time (with 325 items), and after collecting the additional 5 items there (so with 330 of them), and after exiting the Central Cavern and reentering it with 330 items. Every time the result was the same, i.e. Willy just died.

It was only after I killed him repeatedly in the Central Cavern, losing all lives, that I got the "Well Done" screen, which serves as the title screen. In fact, it seems to stay on - after I started a new game and quit it (by pressing the BREAK key, that is, CAPS SHIFT and SPACE), it was still there as the new title screen.