Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central YouTube channel

jetsetdanny

A few days before this forum was revived, I launched a new YouTube channel to complement the information presented on JSW Central. The channel is here. Please visit and subscribe if you find it interesting.

The main aim of the channel is to showcase videos of walkthroughs of Manic Miner (MM) and Jet Set Willy (JSW) games for the ZX Spectrum, keeping high standards of quality.

The videos, made from RZX files (recordings of Spectrum gameplay), will show games completed as smoothly, elegantly and efficiently as possible, aiming to achieve the best completion time (in JSW games) or the highest score (in MM games), with no loss of life if it can be avoided (unless indicated otherwise, e.g. in case of speedruns). The walkthroughs will show the protagonist (Willy, or whoever it is in a given game) moving forward firmly, without hesitation, waste of time or unnecessary moves, taking the shortest, most efficient route possible.

Videos of walkthroughs of MM and JSW games, created from my RZX recordings made using the Rollback feature, are the only content I am planning to upload to the channel in the foreseeable future. I will do my best to update the channel periodically and expand the ‘game solutions database’ it constitutes gradually, alongside updates to JSW Central.

For the time being, I have uploaded 16 videos to the channel. (#10 – that’s my little tribute to the hexadecimal numeral system 😉). They include all of the games from the official Miner Willy canon (Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Jet Set Willy II and Allan Turvey’s excellent conversion of The Perils of Willy) as well as the better part of my JSW game projects.

I would like to thank Paolo Santagostino, the director of the film "WILLY, 48K about a Legend", for letting me use an excerpt from the rendering of the MM in-game music featured in his movie for my opening theme. His YouTube channel is here, his Vimeo channel is here and his Twitter channel is here.

Enjoy! 🙂

Thanks, guys! 🙂

Do subscribe if you can - IIUC, once the number of subscribers goes over 100, I should be able to change the channel's address to a custom one ("youtube.com/user/jswcentral" would be the obvious choice), which would be nice.

Thanks for the link to MM 3D! I've just created a new thread about it in the "Manic Miner" section.

• 7 months later...

JSW Central YouTube channel has just been updated with six new videos. These are the walkthroughs of:

"Jet Set Willy III"

"Join the Jet-Set!"

"Spaceman Willy"

"Willy's New Hat"

"Jet-Set Willy in Space"

"Willy does the Great Pyramid!"

The videos are brand-new, while most of the walkthroughs - with the exception of "Willy does the Great Pyramid!", naturally - are quite old, going back to 2006 in most cases. I watched them to see if they should be improved, but didn't see enough room for improvement to make me re-record them again.

Enjoy? 😜

• 3 weeks later...

JSW Central YouTube channel has just been updated with two new videos. These are the walkthroughs of:

"Manic Miner: Back to the Mine"

"Manic 40 Miner"

In case of "Manic 40 Miner", the video hosted on RZX Archive YouTube Channel and the one hosted on JSW Central YouTube Channel were created from the same RZX recording. However, in case of "Manic Miner: Back to the Mine", the video hosted on RZX Archive YouTube Channel is of "Manic Miner Hard" (the version which later resulted to have been "merely" a beta release), while the one hosted on JSW Central YouTube Channel is of the final gamma release of "Manic Miner: Back to the Mine", so both videos complement each other nicely 🙂 .

• 2 weeks later...

JSW Central YouTube channel has just been updated with four new videos. These are the walkthroughs of:

"Maria vs. Some Bastards" (the 2019 bugfixed version)

"Maria's Revenge"

"Maria on Tour"

"ZX Willy the Bug Slayer"

In case of the first three games mentioned above, the videos hosted on JSW Central YouTube Channel and RZX Archive YouTube Channel were created from the same RZX recordings (of mine). 

In case of "ZX Willy the Bug Slayer", the video is of a brand-new RZX walkthrough, which shows the completion of the original game file. The RZX recording made by Robin Clive and hosted on RZX Archive since June 2007 shows the completion of a modified game file - only 7 spare lives are displayed on the status bar, instead of 16. I don't know why Robin used a modified file, as the game is perfectly completable without losing a single life, so there was no need to modify it.

• 1 month later...