Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central YouTube channel

jetsetdanny

20 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

Thanks, Andy, that's very helpful! 👍

You're welcome. 🙂

One thing that occurred to me shortly after I'd left my PC, was to check the actual music data itself, as its in iirc three files. If you look at the "grace.tun" for these two files (I also looked at my archive of them and its the same) you'll see this file is full of effectively blank data, a repeating pattern of #00 #FF , similar to how the S.P version of Manic Miner filled the 'dead space' actually. I took a look at another two different JSW128 files and they had actual 'data' of some description in this file, so its fair to say the 'tune' was purposely cut out.

The odd click may well because it may still try to read that pattern and occasionally its enough to cause it to make some noise assuming the code is trying to control the AY chip directly not via ROM routines.

To confirm the above, this is from the grace.tun file for both a standard game and (identical or almost in both your files) from the ones you attached:

compare.png

The difference is clear 😄 , You can see the right hand one is virtually 'dead' whereas the left one contains data, in repeating (sort of) patterns.

To further satisfy my curiosity, I replaced grace.tun in both the files you supplied to check. I can confirm that the tune playing code is correctly there, my previous comment about it being AWOL I guess (without checking) was it likely performs a call to the routine as its "AY" rather than "Beeper". Attaching the 'test' files, but as I put I've replaced the 'blanked' out file with the original and the tune plays as expected in-game:

TEST_FILE_where's woody_test.tap

TEST_FILE_STRANGEL.tap

🙂

Edited by Spider
Tidied image attachment

• 3 weeks later...

Updates on the JSW Central YouTube channel since the last video I mentioned in this thread:

Manic Jet Set Willy

Jet Set Emily: Baby on the Go Original Edition

Jet Set Emily: Baby on the Go Special Edition

Jet Set Emily: Baby on the Go Final Edition

Jet Set Willy 16K

Willy and the Dodecahedron

Jet-Set Willy Ivy

where's woody?

Willy Takes a Trip

MANIC-minor

The recordings of "Manic Jet Set Willy" and "MANIC-minor" are very recent (because the games are relatively new), as is the recording of "Jet Set Willy 16K" (because I only completed it for the first time recently).

The remaining videos were made from my RZX walkthroughs which I recorded a long time ago. They seemed good enough to be used for the YouTube channel. If I re-recorded these games now, I would do some things differently (like turning while jumping vertically up if a turn is required, instead of jumping up and then turning to face in the other direction), but I decided that these details, which may affect the aesthetic side of the recordings a little bit, were not "serious enough" to warrant a re-recording of these games, which would require a significant investment of time and energy (which I can use better for other MM/JSW-related activities).

• 5 months later...

Updates on the JSW Central YouTube channel since the last video I mentioned in this thread:

JSW Stupid

Holy Shit!!!

The Perils of Willy – Bog Roll Edition

Willy on a Transatlantic Cruise

Henry's Hoard (1985 version)

Henry's Hoard (1986 version)

Henry's Hoard (1989 version)

Bizarre!

Pip The Pipistrelle

Manic Miner: The Buddha of Suburbia SE

The videos of "JSW Stupid", "Holy Shit!!!", "Willy on a Transatlantic Cruise", the three versions of "Henry's Hoard", "Bizarre!" and "Pip The Pipistrelle" have been made from my old RZX recordings, which have been available for download from JSW Central for years now.

The video of the Bog Roll Edition of "The Perils of Willy" was made (back in April) from a (then) brand-new RZX recording (a bugfixed, completable version of this edition was only released by Allan Turvey in December 2021).

The video of the Special Edition of "Manic Miner: The Buddha of Suburbia" was made from a newly-made RZX recording, which can now (since half an hour ago!) be downloaded from JSW Central. I managed to improve my score by 163 points (from 25,373 pts. to 25,536 pts.). This probably means I did quite a good job recording it back in 2015, as the improvement has been minimal.

Incidentally, the scores quoted above are scores upon reaching the equivalent of the swordfish sign in the final room. In this game (as well as in Andrew Broad's "Manic Miner 4"), the air counter keeps resetting itself after the player has completed the final cavern, causing a constant increase in the score and making it impossible to re-enter the first cavern. Therefore, the score upon reaching the equivalent of the swordfish sign is the only final score that can be reasonably quoted. These two games are the reason why on JSW Central there are two best scores given for each MM game. Most of the games can be compared using the score upon the first re-entry into the first cavern. These two games do not have that score, therefore the only value they can be compared against (the score upon reaching the equivalent of the swordfish sign) is also given for all of the other MM games (which otherwise would not need to have two ending scores mentioned).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"Miles Mad Mission"

"Willy the Hacker"

"ZX81 Manic Miner"

"Utility Cubicles"

"Jet Set Willy X"

"STRANGEL"

"Jet Set Willy: The DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!!"

"Jet Set Willy: The DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!! Special Edition"

The videos of "STRANGEL" and "Jet Set Willy X" and were made from RZX walkthroughs I recorded a long time ago, in September 2008 and May 2013, respectively. 

The videos of "Miles Mad Mission", "Willy the Hacker" and "ZX81 Manic Miner" were made from RZX recordings I made recently, as I had not played these games to completion before. I managed to complete "Miles Mad Mission" at 8:25 am, "Willy the Hacker" at 9973769 (please see this thread for more info), and "ZX81 Manic Miner" with 21,911 points upon the first re-entry into the first cavern, all of these results being significant improvements over other publicly available completions of these games.

For the other three videos, I replayed and re-recorded them in order to improve my own earlier performances. I brought down my completion time of "Utility Cubicles" from 8:40 am to 8:31 am, of "Jet Set Willy: The DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!!" from 8:16 am to 8:13 am, and of the Special Edition of "Jet Set Willy: The DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!!" from 8:33 am to 8:25 am.

All of the newly-recorded RZX files can be downloaded from the games' respective JSW Central pages.