Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central YouTube channel

jetsetdanny

• 1 month later...

I have just completed posting videos of walkthroughs of the six variants of "Jet Set Willy 64" ("JSW64") on the JSW Central YouTube channel. Here they are:

JSW64 V

JSW 64 W

JSW64 X

JSW64 Y

JSW64 Z

JSW64 [

I re-recorded RZX walkthroughs of all six variants in order to improve on my previous recordings, made in October 2006 (currently still hosted on the RZX Archive). I was able to improve the completion time of Variants V and W (which have JSW rooms plus MM rooms and John Elliott's Clock Tower triptych) from 8:43 am to 8:37 am in-game time, and of Variants X, Y, Z and [ (which only have JSW rooms plus the Clock Tower triptych) from 8:01 am to 7:57 am.

You can download my improved RZX walkthroughs from the game's page on JSW Central.

You're welcome 🙂 . I plan to make the JSW Central YouTube channel a repository of efficient solutions to ALL gamma-released MM and JSW games for the ZX Spectrum, and I'm gradually moving in this direction.

Videos of both variants of "JSW64: Manic Miner" have now been added to the channel. Here they are:

JSW64: Manic Miner Variant W

JSW64: Manic Miner Variant Z

re-recorded RZX walkthroughs of both variants in order to improve on my previous recordings, made in October 2006 (currently still hosted on the RZX Archive). I was able to bring the completion time down from 7:38 am to 7:35 am in-game time.

Interestingly, this is approximately the completion time of "MM" expressed "on a JSW time scale". "Approximately", because "JSW64: Manic Miner" plays *almost exactly* like the original "MM", but not 100% (the most notable difference being the ability to jump over the horizontal guardian at the floor level in "Amoebatrons' Revenge" the first time it comes Willy's way after entering the room - this does spare some time in comparison with playing the original "MM").

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I posted my last video for the year on the JSW Central YouTube channel. I'm up to 123 videos posted so far, so about two-thirds of the way of presenting walkthroughs of what I classify as new MM/JSW games.

Updates on the JSW Central YouTube channel since the latest video I mentioned in this thread:

"J4 (The Fourth Remix)"

"Manic Miner - 2000"

"Party Willy" SE Part 1

"Party Willy" SE Part 2

"Party Willy" (JSW128 version) SE

"Lena vs Margo"

"Jet Set Basic"

"willy to the rescue!"

"Soul Miner"

"Manic Miner C.S.S."

"Marina: The Fire Quest"

"Clopit!"

"Jet Set Willy: Fucked Internet Remix"

"Jet Set Willy: Fucked Internet Remake"

"Jet Set Willy: Fucked Internet Resurrection"

Some comments:

"J4 (The Fourth Remix)": I re-recorded the game, improving my completion time (in relation to my earlier walkthrough still hosted on the RZX Archive) from 9969965 to 9971648.

"Manic Miner - 2000": I re-recorded the game, improving the completion score by 2418 pts., taking it up to 38 438 pts.

"Party Willy" SE (all three games): I used my RZX walkthroughs recorded back in May and June 2007 (considering them to be 'good enough').

"Lena vs Margo": I re-recorded the game, bringing down my completion time from 14:20 to 14:18.

"Jet Set Basic": I used my RZX walkthrough recorded back in January 2008.

"willy to the rescue!": I re-recorded the game, bringing down my completion time from 8:57 am to 8:42 am.

"Soul Miner": I completed and recorded the game for the first time ever. Planning an optimal route was the biggest headache (an important feature of the game is teleporters, which are very numerous and constitute a significant part of Willy's progress), but I think I got it right, achieving a completion time of 8:07 am.

"Manic Miner C.S.S.": This is the game that has so far been known as "Manic Miner: comp.sys.sinclair". I have changed its name on JSW Central (in all references that are made to it), because I consulted the original documents related to it (its website, Readme and the author's old posts about it) and I am positive "Manic Miner C.S.S." was the name its author (Nigel Fishwick, aka FishyFish) used when he created it back in 2002. I believe it was christened "Manic Miner: comp.sys.sinclair" by Andrew Broad when he placed it on his otherwise excellent list of MM and JSW games, and then the name made its way onto WoS, SC and other sites.  But it's incorrect, not what the author called the game, so I have corrected it. I re-recorded the game, improving my completion score by a mere 350 pts., taking it up to 36 536 pts.

"Marina: The Fire Quest": I re-recorded the game, bringing down my completion time from 14:07 am to 14:06 am. I am particularly proud of this, as I initially thought improving the completion time in such a small game (just 6 rooms) is not possible. It turned out to be possible thanks to some jumps from ramps which allowed me to collect some items via these jumps from below, instead of going onto the platforms they're on and outmanoeuvring the guardians there.

"Clopit!": I completed and recorded the game for the first time ever, achieving a completion time of 7:23 am.

"Jet Set Willy: Fucked Internet Remix":  I re-recorded the game, bringing down my completion time from 8:09 am to 8:06 am.

"Jet Set Willy: Fucked Internet Remake" and "Jet Set Willy: Fucked Internet Resurrection":  I used my RZX walkthroughs recorded back in March 2007.

The videos of the last three games mentioned (which together form "The Fucked Internet Trilogy") have been censored by YouTube as age-restricted and can only be watched once you confirm your age by logging in. I am not happy about YouTube's policy on this (I believe there are far more serious problems in the world than someone, even a minor, using the F word), but I can't help it. I can only say that in the future I intend to make all the videos available for download, and then, hopefully, everyone will be able to download also these three without any restrictions.

All of the newly-recorded RZX files can be downloaded from the games' respective pages on JSW Central.

Creating and adding videos to the JSW Central YouTube channel will be one of my JSW/MM priorities in 2024. It will remain a priority until video walkthroughs of all games I classify as new games are presented there. I will then continue with other videos, prioritising selected minor versions of MM and JSW or some highlights from their gameplay (like new rooms).