Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central YouTube channel

jetsetdanny

• 3 months later...

Updates on the JSW Central YouTube channel since the last video I mentioned in this thread:

"Willy's Afterlife"

"Manic Scribbler"

"Jet Set Willy: Spectrum Computing"

"Goodnite Luddite"

"Ultimate Manic Miner"

"Manic Panic"

"Skint Willy"

"Willy the Rogue"

"Still Stealin'"

"Manic Miner Mythologies: Eugene - Lord of the Bathroom"

"Monstrum!"

"Willy in the Islands of Mystery (Part 1: Exploration)"

The videos of "Goodnite Luddite", "Manic Panic", "Skint Willy", "Willy the Rogue" and "Steal Stealin'" were made from RZX walkthroughs I had recorded previously (back in 2007 in case of "Goodnite Luddite", in 2019 in case of the three parts of the "Down and Out Trilogy" and in 2021 in case of "Manic Panic").

The video of "Ultimate Manic Miner" was made from an RZX recording I made recently, as I had not played this game to completion before. I managed to complete it at 11:35 pm, which is an improvement over the other publicly available recording(s) of this visually-stunning game.

For the other six videos, I replayed and re-recorded them in order to improve my own earlier performances. I hugely improved my previous score in "Manic Scribbler" - from 25,465 points to 32,730 points. I moderately improved my earlier score in "Manic Miner Mythologies: Eugene - Lord of the Bathroom" - from 26,428 points to 27,001 points (I got my kicks out of beating the 27,000-point mark! 😁). Furthermore, I brought down my completion time of "Willy's Afterlife" from 8:08 am to 8:02 am, of "Jet Set Willy: Spectrum Computing" from 7:57 am to 7:51 am, of "Monstrum!" from 8:36 am to 8:24 am and of "Willy in the Islands of Mystery (Part 1: Exploration)" from 8:38 am to 8:26 am.

All of the newly-recorded RZX files can be downloaded from the games' respective pages on JSW Central.

• 4 months later...

I am very pleased to say that the number of videos* on the JSW Central YouTube channel has now reached 100 🙂 . The following videos have been added since the last one I mentioned in this thread:

"Jet Set Willy II+" (walkthrough)

"Jet Set Willy II+" (speedrun)

"Dr. Jet Set Willy"

"Jet Set Willy 128"

"Manic Miner: The Hobbit" (Hard Version)

"Manic Miner: The Hobbit" (Easy Version)

"Jet Set Willy: The Lord of the Rings" (Hard Version)

"Jet Set Willy: The Lord of the Rings" (Easy Version)

"Jet Set Willy in Paris"

"Mr Top Hat"

"Thoroughly Modern Willy"

"Jet-Set Willy (again)"

"Jet Set Willy: The 2005 Megamix"

"Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz"

There are two videos of "Jet Set Willy II+": one showing the game completed with all items collected and no unnecessary loss of life, and the other one showing the game completed with only the minimum number of items collected necessary to trigger the end sequence (298; plus one collected inadvertently during the toilet run) and with lives lost along the way in order to improve the completion time. For the former, I used the RZX recording I made back in 2017. For the latter, I re-recorded the last part of my respective 2017 recording, improving the completion time from 52:59 to 52:23.

I re-recorded several of the games mentioned above, achieving the following improvements of completion times/scores:

"Dr. Jet Set Willy" - completion time brought down from 7:30 am to 7:28 am;

"Jet Set Willy 128" - completion time brought down from 9:06 am to 8:53 am;

"Manic Miner: The Hobbit" (Hard Version) - completion score increased from 21,343 pts. to 22,769 pts.;

"Manic Miner: The Hobbit" (Easy Version) - completion score increased from 39,514 pts. to 41,147 pts.;

"Jet Set Willy: The Lord of the Rings" (Hard Version) - completion time brought down from 8:48 am to 8:23 am;

"Jet Set Willy: The Lord of the Rings" (Easy Version) - completion time brought down from 8:19 am to 8:08 am;

"Jet Set Willy in Paris"- completion time brought down from 11:03 am to 10:49 am;

"Jet-Set Willy (again)" - completion time brought down from 8:48 am to 8:39 am.

The recordings of "Jet Set Willy: The 2005 Megamix" and "Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz" were the first ones I ever made. In the former, I achieved a completion time of 10:13 am; the latter was completed with 102 in-game minutes to go (the game starts with 120 minutes to go).

All of the newly-recorded RZX files can be downloaded from the games' respective pages on JSW Central. In fact, in case of "Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz", if you want to see the best completion time, you will need to download the RZX file, because the YouTube video was made from another RZX file, recorded at a more leisurely pace, to make it viewer-friendly by providing enough time to read all of the questions before the correct answer is shown.

The videos of "Mr Top Hat" and "Thoroughly Modern Willy" were made from RZX recordings I made in previous years (no improvement was needed).

* "proper videos". There are 101 videos altogether, but one is on the Temporary videos playlist - it is a video of completing a certain PC version with a certain score. I made it in response to a discussion on the Central Cavern Facebook Group once, and I'm sure what to do about it now. I would just delete it, but it did have almost 200 views and 8 likes, so I'm hesitant to delete it...

4 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

"proper videos". There are 101 videos altogether, but one is on the Temporary videos playlist - it is a video of completing a certain PC version with a certain score. I made it in response to a discussion on the Central Cavern Facebook Group once, and I'm sure what to do about it now. I would just delete it, but it did have almost 200 views and 8 likes, so I'm hesitant to delete it...

You could always change its status to 'unlisted'. That way you would have 100 publicly available videos, but the 'temporary' video would be preserved, and you could send a link for it to anyone who requested to see it.

Hi Ian, good to see you around 🙂 

Thank you for this tip, it was very helpful! I changed the status of the video to 'unlisted', which diminished the number of videos as shown by YouTube to 100. However, since this video was the sole video on a separate playlist, the playlist was still visible, even after I changed it status to unlisted (I was testing it by viewing my channel on a different browser where I'm not logged in).

Finally, I have changed the playlist's status to 'private' (the video's status continues to be 'unlisted') which I *think* should do the trick of the video being visible/accessible only if someone has the link and the playlist not being visible at all - which is perfect for me 🙂 .

What have you been up to recently in your spare time? Have you done any MM/JSW stuff? Since a "Mini Games" category has been added to the Download section recently, it would be great if you 'officially' released some of the mini games you have created (the ones with quirky puzzles). Just a kind suggestion for something to consider 🙂 .