Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central YouTube channel

jetsetdanny

Thanks, guys! 🙂 

The next video I will be posting is actually the most labour-intensive one so far (that's not counting the initial learning curve, I guess). Nothing extraordinary, it's just that it's got two parts (and various intros) and I decided to combine them all into one video. It'll soon be coming to the JSW Central YouTube channel... 😎

On 9/10/2021 at 4:48 AM, jetsetdanny said:

In case of "ZX Willy the Bug Slayer", the video is of a brand-new RZX walkthrough, which shows the completion of the original game file. The RZX recording made by Robin Clive and hosted on RZX Archive since June 2007 shows the completion of a modified game file - only 7 spare lives are displayed on the status bar, instead of 16. I don't know why Robin used a modified file, as the game is perfectly completable without losing a single life, so there was no need to modify it.

Perhaps Robin did that just to make the game run faster?  Fewer lives means the program spends less time executing the animation of the remaining lives on the status bar.  (Plus in Geoff Mode, they're animated out of sync; perhaps sorting that out slows the game even more than in original JSW where the remaining lives are all in lock-step?)

That could have been the reason, indeed, but for me, it would be a very strange one - to produce a spurious recording, one which does not show the real game file, only for the sake of gaining a few minutes of real time. We (speaking in general terms) spend so much time on making these recordings. Why would gaining a few minutes be more important than producing an authentic recording? It's incomprehensible, to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

JSW Central YouTube channel has just been updated with four new videos. These are the walkthroughs of the original editions of Adam Britton's three JSW games and of the Special Edition of his first game:

Jet Set Willy: The Continuing Adventures (original edition)

Jet Set Willy: The Continuing Adventures (Special Edition)

Jet Set Willy: The Deadly Mission

Jet Set Willy: Willy's Holiday

• 1 month later...

JSW Central YouTube channel has been updated with six new videos. These are the walkthroughs of:

Manic Miner 2

Manic Miner No. 2

Manic Miner III: Tales from a Parallel Universe

Manic Miner 4 SE

Manic Miner 5: Los peligros del LSD

It's Wet Jelly

All of the RZX walkthroughs used for these videos have been re-recorded in recent weeks, with visible improvements over my previous scores/completion time.

Please refer to this post for more info about the re-recording of these games and the improvements over their previous scores/completion time I have been able to achieve.

• 2 months later...

Could someone please load the attached TAP files of Sendy (Alex Cornhill)'s JSW128 games "where's woody?" and "STRANGEL" into an emulator of your choice (or two) and see if they have any in-game music? When you don't hear any music, please try pressing the keys that would normally turn it on if it's turned off. Please let me know what the results are.

It won't be a big spoiler if I say these games apparently have no in-game music. I just want to make sure this is indeed the case, that I'm not missing something obvious here.

There is no in-game music in my RZX recordings of these games (made years ago), which I am planning to convert to YouTube videos, there are only in-game sounds of jumping, falling, getting killed and item collection. Before I make the videos, I want to be absolutely sure I didn't happen to record the games with the in-game music off, while it could be turned on.

Sendy's notes in the Readme files seem to corroborate that there is no in-game music. They read (same language in both files), "if you hear a quiet ticking sound while playing the game, press 'enter' to stop it." I'm not sure what this is referring to exactly, but seems to suggest that there is no in-game music as such, since the player might be able to hear a quiet ticking sound.

I'm 99.5% sure there is no in-game music in either game. If someone confirms this, I will consider my certainty to be 100%.

Please note I am absolutely not suggesting the games should be 'fixed' to have in-game music or anything like that. I just want to make sure my recordings did not miss something that was present in the 'officially' released files.

STRANGEL.tap where's woody.tap

They do not have in game music. I've tested in Spin in 128 and +2A mode as well as in Fuse in +3e mode.

A cursory glance at the code shows its checking for it being enabled or not SET vs RES however (not sure on this as its AY chip) there's no apparent code for the actual playing of it. Indeed a few bytes around this area appear to have been NOP'ed out, this could be normal for JSW64/128 engines however (I don't have time to check as I write this)

Summary: No, its not you! 😄