Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Mission - Manic Miner / Impossible Mission mashup game

Heracleum

Hi there JSW/MM fans!

I'm developing and about to complete "Manic Mission" a Manic Miner and Impossible Mission mashup, which inevitably contains JSW elements. It's not sequential like MM and you can navigate all rooms on a bigger map like JSW; you move around the map also using Elevator shafts like in Impossible mission and other IM elements are searching furniture pieces for puzzles/passwords useful to complete the game by combining puzzle pieces to form a random drawing to discover the final password. 

It's written in HTML5 so nothing to download/install/emulate, you can directly play the test version here:

https://heracleum.org/games/manic-mission/test/
(do not use Firefox, it's too slow, I suggest Chrome)

The game is basically complete, but I still need to create more rooms. The good thing is there's a built in Level Editor you can use to create and suggest your own rooms

The Editor is totally visual, you can create platforms, drag/drop move and copy blocks, set guardians' sprites, paths, visually assign targets to Switches and also  (for the Impossible Mission side) set "furniture areas" where furniture pieces will randomly be assigned or remain just blank.

Instead of getting keys or flashing items to unlock the door to next level, in Manic Mission flashing items are used to unlock/search furniture pieces.

I'd be honoured to know what you guys think and would love to know if you're interested in creating a few rooms to add to the game. There will be virtually infinite rooms in each play, one could decide to play the "official game levels" or the "Community created levels" (this option is still ignored since I don't even have enough rooms -32- for the official levels).

Anyway a full game is possible to play and complete, you will just see "Random Room (n)" as filler levels.

It starts with a C64 palette and its sprite rendering but you can set both ZX Spectrum palette and Speccy rendering if you prefer.

A few screenshots in the attachments.

For easier collaboration, maybe draw a few blocks graphics or guardians sprite animation (there's plenty to add)
and especially to send your -locally saved- rooms created with Level Editor here's the Manic Mission creators Discord link:

https://discord.gg/RGHnvhXPbh

Please let me know! Thank you!

EditorExample.png

zxColdRoomPlus.png

zxArborea.png

optionsZXrender.png

c64Balltergeist.png

IMElevatorMap.png

c64DSerenade.png

IMpuzzles.png

Edited by Heracleum
added browser suggestions

10 hours ago, Heracleum said:

@MtM Thanks!
Slow: are you using Firefox? I noticed FF is remarkably slow (unplayable) on html canvas working with pixel rendering (and to emulate 8bit I need to do several clips and pixel data manipulation).

It definitely runs smoothly on other browsers, I suggest using Chrome 👌

I am using Firefox, so you are right. Unfortunately, I do not use any other browsers at all (except Safari if I am using a Mac) so slow it is for me, apologies

I should of said under Firefox when I posted originally.

Any chance of any sound?

Wow only 28 secs on Firefox? 😆

Thanks @Norman Sword

Yes 8 seconds walking from side to side is the correct timing. Same on MS Edge browser.

2 hours ago, MtM said:

Any chance of any sound?

Ah yes that's actually another big missing chunk of the game, but yes I'm planning to add background adaptive music and a few sounds (possibly not too annoying though)

⁉ Curiosity about the mashup idea:
would a die-hard JSW/MM fan find the Miner Willy saga mechanics blended together with another game (like Impossible Mission in this case) blasphemous?

8 hours ago, Heracleum said:

Wow only 28 secs on Firefox? 😆

Thanks @Norman Sword

Yes 8 seconds walking from side to side is the correct timing. Same on MS Edge browser.

Ah yes that's actually another big missing chunk of the game, but yes I'm planning to add background adaptive music and a few sounds (possibly not too annoying though)

⁉ Curiosity about the mashup idea:
would a die-hard JSW/MM fan find the Miner Willy saga mechanics blended together with another game (like Impossible Mission in this case) blasphemous?

Not blasphemous at all in my personal opinion Heracleum. However, until it speeds up on FF I won't be able to play it much 😞 I think it is an excellent idea, I have the original C64 version of Impossible Mission sat on my shelves behind me, I never finished it, in truth if you are going to do _any_ sound at all on this, you

really need to get the speech from Impossible Mission into the game. Not only the original speech, but a new version of the speech with a female voice that could be Maria berating Willy. Just my opinion anyway 🙂

2 hours ago, MtM said:

really need to get the speech from Impossible Mission into the game. Not only the original speech, but a new version of the speech [..]

Ahah yes there are some ideas on speech clips, apart the one every IM fan would expect once the first elevator is reached, with a little variation "Another miner.. stay a while, staaay forever!"

BTW I see Mac users can install Chrome. Don't just do it for this silly game of course 🤭 but it might be useful for other things (HTML canvas is 'the new Flash', having a very performing canvas on our browser could come in handy).
I've used Firefox as favourite browser for several years before 2010, then it just became too evident how Chrome was way superior to the rest. Even Microsoft recently decided to use the same base as Chrome (Edge Chromium).

Thanks for the heads up. In truth, it will be a cold day in hell before I install Chrome, so I guess I will have to live with a slow HTML canvas. I spend less and less time on the internet these days so I will live 🙂 But thanks again anyway.

Lol sorry I couldn't imagine Chrome could be that much hated and avoided 😂

BTW I installed Firefox to check if performance could be improved, I isolated the slowest part and it's (as expected) the "add block colours to underlying monochrome bitmap". I can't believe I should check redraw areas in a oh-so-small 256x192 portion, wth fifefox, why are you so darn slow rendering this little bunch of pixels..

I'll try optimising, especially since you seem the only one interested in trying this game 😅 (dies inside)

Thank you very much 👍