Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Mission - Manic Miner / Impossible Mission mashup game

Heracleum

Heracleum, 

48 minutes ago, Heracleum said:

I'll try optimising, especially since you seem the only one interested in trying this game 😅 (dies inside)

Heracleum, thank you for creating Manic Mission and posting about it here. It is greatly appreciated! 🙂

My primary personal interest are new ZX Spectrum games using MM and JSW games engines. Due to the lack of time, if I have to make choices on what to spend my limited spare time, I will typically prioritise spending it on a Spectrum-based game than on a non-Spectrum one.

Nevertheless, I tried to have a look at your game, as I like your description and screenshots and I very much appreciate the fact that you have provided an editor. Being able to create new rooms is the greatest thing about MM and JSW, IMPO.

Regretfully, each time I try to open your website, I get the message "Your Internet access is blocked. Firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection." Please see the attached screenshot. This is happening while various other pages I go to are working just fine. The screenshot was taken a couple of minutes ago, while I'm here on this forum and I've also visited some other pages, so there is no problem with my connection as such.

Any idea what might be wrong?

EDIT: I'm using Chrome, but I've just tried it in Edge and got a similar message.

heracleum problem.png

@jetsetdanny 😲 Oh! this is the last issue I would have expected!
The website also has absolutely zero ads or things that would alert protections, i wanted to keep the whole domain clean, only to run and serve tools and games.

It also serves other tools (drawing tools, palette editors) that are still used by thousands of other users daily in a drawing community and no one notified similar access problems. Very weird.

Just a double check, did you try just visiting the website homepage? https://heracleum.org/en/

Edited by Heracleum

Previously I tried the first link you posted: https://heracleum.org/games/manic-mission/test/ 

Right now I've tried https://heracleum.org/en/, but the result is the same, also when I go to https://heracleum.org/.

Right now I've also tried it in Brave, but the result is the same. So I don't think it's a question of the browser.

[after a while]

OK, I've solved it. I am using McAfee as antivirus firewall and its NetGuard was blocking your address.

I have turned the NetGuard off and just registered at Discord, but it won't be very convenient if I have to turn it off (and then remember to turn it back on, as I prefer to have this protection!) every time I want to have a look at your website. The question is why McAfee's NetGuard considers it unsafe...

I really like the screens I see in the screenshots 🙂 . One task I might envisage to try some day (in a rather distant future) would be to transfer some of them to the ZX Spectrum format (probably using the JSW64 game engine to allow for more game engine features that the original MM engine), if you or the authors of the respective levels agreed, of course.

Can you actually play the game right now? I don't seem to find any such option there.

I have wandered around several of the screens. Mainly just wandering around the lifts and watching the map show where I was.

Interesting the part where you search items. (for no apparent reason).

Played around with the editor. Took a bit to work out the some of the mechanics.

Any plans on allowing save states (I did not notice that facility, but they could be there).

From the glance I had it seems promising.

17 minutes ago, jetsetdanny said:

Right now I've also tried it in Brave, but the result is the same. So I don't think it's a question of the browser.

If Brave had managed to open and play the game, I hope your version  plays a bit faster than the version I tried (it makes FireFox look fast) 

@jetsetdanny Thanks! I investigated and followed McAfee suggestions (here) in case a trustworthy website is blocked by NetGuard.

Using their online check my website resulted simply as "Uncategorized URL" (weird choice to block domains in this case meh).

So I just submitted a change specifying categories Art + Games. It says it will take an average of 3-5 business days 😓

@Norman Sword Searching items: yes that's the Impossible Mission part, you search furniture pieces for passwords (snooze guardians for 30 secs or Reset platforms, restores crumbling floors and lifts) or, most importantly, you will find puzzle fragments of a picture. In the Elevator screens if you press jump (up, no left/right) the Puzzle solver interface shows up, where you will combine these fragments into blocks, finally forming a complete picture and reveal the final password to complete the mission (stop the evil professor Atombender). All of these elements belong to Mission Impossible (one of the coolest games of that era, personally).

Saving room projects: absolutely, yes, select "Room" in the dropdown box to show room related options and there's the Save Room button (it's saved locally, browser's localStorage).
There's no "submit"/upload room online yet (that was the plan when things are more complete, server-side and there's interest).

But yes at the moment you can still share your room project contents (plain text data) in the Discord even here actually. 

Edited by Heracleum

• 2 weeks later...

Creating more rooms I couldn't help making a reference to another game I loved, Skool Daze
AW7jLAR3c60dAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

EDIT:
a short gameplay video to see it in action (otherwise if you want to play it directly and solve the room you will find this one near the top of the map, rooms sequence is not randomized at the moment, new levels are in the top row of the map)

Edited by Heracleum
Added video

• 2 weeks later...

@MtM Great news! I've thoroughly investigated what caused Firefox to lag so bad and I've rewritten and optimised the screen blocks colour rendering.

Now it runs way way faster using Firefox!
Walking the whole screen from side to side takes the usual 8 seconds like in Chrome and other browsers.

Would you like to try if it's fixed for your version/setup/OS + Firefox as well? 🤞

@Norman Sword when you've time, could you please check if the lag is solved for Brave as well? I really hope so.

Thank you so much to both!

4 hours ago, Heracleum said:

@MtM Great news! I've thoroughly investigated what caused Firefox to lag so bad and I've rewritten and optimised the screen blocks colour rendering.

Now it runs way way faster using Firefox!
Walking the whole screen from side to side takes the usual 8 seconds like in Chrome and other browsers.

Would you like to try if it's fixed for your version/setup/OS + Firefox as well? 🤞

@Norman Sword when you've time, could you please check if the lag is solved for Brave as well? I really hope so.

Thank you so much to both!

10 seconds for me counted very scientifically using 1 thousand, 2 thousand etc 😉

I'm not joking! But it is completely playable now thank you. Just the sound to go! 🙂

It did take a long time to load, I am using 87.0 Firefox 64 bit which I think is the latest version.

It looks lovely and colourful, though I note the right hand side of the screen has a flicker / shake to it on occasion?

Anyway, top work Heracleum, please keep it up!