Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jet Set Willy 3

Pixel Stonk

Thanks everyone.

And yes you are right jetsetdanny. I made the trailer when the main game consisted of just 384 rooms (so 230 new ones - it does contain all MM rooms deep underground accessible through an opening on the right hand side of Down T' Pit). Since making this I added an additional and unlockable side game mode (a challenging 50-floor tower with two playable rooms on each floor), adding another 100 to take it up to 484.

Of course, as this is JSW and not MM, the MM rooms have been slightly modified so they now interconnect. They still need to be played through in order though, and it is still necessary to collect the items in each room to progress to the next (each room has a door that only opens once the items are collected). I also added in the Air mechanic just for these rooms too.

Edited by Pixel Stonk
spelling

• 5 months later...

Sadly I've hit a brick wall with regard to who actually owns the IP for Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner, as it appears both Matt Smith and Steve Wilcox of Elite Systems claim they own it. It's a very messy area, and I'm not sure how, if ever, it will be resolved.

In the meantime, if you are on Steam you can play a demo for another game that I'm working on at the moment, very similar to but much more in-depth than Jet Set Willy, called Whim. Here's a link to the website if you fancy checking it out:

http://whimgame.com

As fans of JSW and Manic Miner, feedback on this game would be appreciated!

Of course, I'm still keen to get JSW3 off the ground so I would be grateful for any further advice they may have on this.

Thanks all!

Edited by Pixel Stonk

On 2/11/2022 at 4:33 PM, Pixel Stonk said:

Sadly I've hit a brick wall with regard to who actually owns the IP for Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner, as it appears both Matt Smith and Steve Wilcox of Elite Systems claim they own it. It's a very messy area, and I'm not sure how, if ever, it will be resolved.

In the meantime, if you are on Steam you can play a demo for another game that I'm working on at the moment, very similar to but much more in-depth than Jet Set Willy, called Whim. Here's a link to the website if you fancy checking it out:

http://whimgame.com

As fans of JSW and Manic Miner, feedback on this game would be appreciated!

Of course, I'm still keen to get JSW3 off the ground so I would be grateful for any further advice they may have on this.

Thanks all!

It looks good does Whim, I really hope it happens. Any chance of a macOS port do you think? I don't really use a pc anymore, so a mac version would be great.

Sadly, I'm not sure the rights problems are going to get resolved in any hurry. My (limited) understanding is that Matthew Smith owns the rights to the Bug-Byte version of Manic Miner, but not the Software Projects editions. JSW was very much a Software Projects title and there seems to be no clear owner.

It seems to me like you'd have two options -

1) Release it free as a fan made tribute. Although, I appreciate you've clearly put a HUGE amount of effort into it already and would like (and deserve) some recompense for it.

2) Take the 'Miner Willy' assets, rooms and all, out of the game and release it as a new game with the same base engine.

Whim looks fun. Good luck with it!

CPL