Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jet Set Willy 3

Pixel Stonk

4 hours ago, Pixel Stonk said:

Yes, the built-in physics in Stencyl were no use at all for this so I had to write a new engine to handle the specific way Willy moves and animates. The biggest hurdle I had was definitely the stairs.

Lol, totally! I wrote mine in Gamemaker and the stairs were a nightmare, especially the jump-through aspect. My code still won't jump-through on every attempt, but even the original has that quirk! 😁

On 2/13/2023 at 7:50 AM, Pixel Stonk said:

To answer a few questions:

@jetsetdannyThe main game has nearly 400 rooms, plus there's an unlockable side area with another 100. I've just had a look at the video of Willy's New Mansion and the cinema does look quite similar actually! That's quite amusing as I'd never seen that before. 

Thanks for your reply. That's too many to port the game to the Spectrum, unless it was done as a two-part JSW128 game (where you could have 512 rooms in total).

Thanks for having a look at "WNM"! 🙂

Please don´t forget the way the micros handled too big games back in the day:

Multiload.

48K Spectrum with tape recorder can handle this "JSW Mega-game", by using multiload. 🙂

Commodore 16 had both Jet Set Willy games! They were just loaded in separately, most C16 users must have been happy to have a chance to play JSW on their micro. 🙂 Please don´t forget that 16-bit micros used multiload, too! Disk drives were faster than tapes, but multiload was used anyway.

48K Spectrum, tape recorder and multiload are not a problem. It´s possible with (lots of ) extra work to choose and arrange certain rooms to fit in each "room block" to be loaded into 48K and when the edge of the playing area is reached, "JSW Mega-game" will ask if player wants to load the next part and tells the needed loading time, too. 🙂

For me, this is THE JSW III that we all wanted but never got. It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be. Can't recommend it enough! I recon I'm at about 10% exploration, if that... and I keep finding awesome things that make me smile!

Though I wish you used \ ramps on the other side of the bridge, lol, don't listen to me! Just being nitpicky : )

Edited by Sendy The Endless
Dogs

Yes I don't think it's realistic for this game to be ported to the Spectrum. Even if the number of rooms wasn't an issue, I think the sheer amount of other additional content would be.

@Sendy The Endless Wow, thank you so much! I don't know what you've found so far but I'm really glad you're enjoying it. 😊

@IRF Yes, I am aware of that game and the many other unofficial Jet Set Willy sequels and remakes that have been made, a few of which were also called Jet Set Willy 3 in one way or another. The most recent 'official' game in the Manic Miner series was Jet Set Willy 2: The Final Frontier (a play on the Star Trek elements added to the game), and as it was the original intention for this to be the first licensed, commercially released sequel in the series since that game, Jet Set Willy 3: The Subsequent Generation (a similar play on the Star Trek series and the fact that it stars Miner Willy's heir rather than the man himself) seemed to make sense.

It has just been a shame that after being so very close to acquiring the licensing rights for the game, everything fell through. Nevertheless, the game is still here and I hope you can all enjoy it for what it is.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:24 AM, SymbolShift said:

Lol, totally! I wrote mine in Gamemaker and the stairs were a nightmare, especially the jump-through aspect. My code still won't jump-through on every attempt, but even the original has that quirk! 😁

Now please model Commodore 64 stairs. 🙂 On a Spectrum it was a mere ramp.....

Now please model Commodore 64 stairs. 🙂 On a Spectrum it was a mere ramp.....

You can mess around with ramp values in ordinary JSW and get some funky stuff to happen. Check out the room "Trick step" in Strangel: Time 9:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE75Af3AY3U

Just as you can have invalid conveyors, you can also mess around with the ramp value in a room to make funky stuff. I believe the room to the left of it (Ceci n'est pas une chambre) also uses messed up ramp values, as do a couple of the other rooms such as Fay's Cancellation.

1 hour ago, Sendy The Endless said:

You can mess around with ramp values in ordinary JSW and get some funky stuff to happen

Sometimes accidents with other cell types (water or air) set to ramp or vice versa can have interesting effects.

Talking of square stairs...

jpf.gif jc6.gif

Further details 'elsewhere' although it was 2018 the last time I did anything to them. They are not finished.