Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

You probably should re-upliad the corrected file as V.5 to avoid confusion, especially now V.4 has been subject to recorded playtesting..

I am thinking about one last tweak .. i'm considering whether or not the monk in The Chapel should actually be changed back to only facing one way, the more i think about it the more i think it might well have been intentional for the little purple fellow never to have to face beelzebub, especially as in JSW2 and 2+ i wouldn't mind betting that this would have been picked up on and corrected as the saw in the Cuckoo's nest was.

Also the purple Maria second from right in the Nightmare room is not waving her arm like the others .. i'm thinking about changing that

Again these are minor changes but since i have made so many i will probably end up calling it rev5 .. or 4.5 or something like that

Edited by Metalmickey

Also the purple Maria second from right in the Nightmare room is not waving her arm like the others .. i'm thinking about changing that

However, she is tapping her foot... The yellow Maria on the right isn't animated at all - but if you made her animate, I fear that would also cause the Foot guardian to start flicking to the Barrel sprite and back again? (Since it shares the same Guardian Class). Edited by IRF

Thanks for your comments, glad you like the new rooms and apologies for the unintended hidden item which i have now removed, i have replaced the file so feel free to download and have another crack at it  :)

I am thinking about one last tweak .. i'm considering whether or not the monk in The Chapel should actually be changed back to only facing one way, the more i think about it the more i think it might well have been intentional for the little purple fellow never to have to face beelzebub, especially as in JSW2 and 2+ i wouldn't mind betting that this would have been picked up on and corrected as the saw in the Cuckoo's nest was.

Again these are minor changes but since i have made so many i will probably end up calling it rev5 .. or 4.5 or something like that

I will have another go and record the walkthrough :) , but I would prefer to do it on the final version. In view of the two above comments, I assume you will be releasing another revision, is that right?

Edited by jetsetdanny

I am considering it, although at the moment all i have done so far is replaced the original upload with one identical but for the removal of the invisible item in A Bit Of Tree.

I'm after a consensus of opinion from as many people as possible as to whether to implement the following changes and whether they were omissions in any way:

1 To revert to having the purple Monk guardian in The Chapel back to only facing left whilst traversing

2 To animate the purple Maria nearest to the right hand side of The Nightmare Room so she is waving her arm, at the moment she is just tapping her foot.

My first thoughts were that there was some sort of bug that affected the animation of certain purple sprites in the game but that now seems unlikely, it's more a coincidence although perhaps Mr Smith deliberately reduced her animation so as to not make the yellow one at the end look like the odd one out which cannot be animated as it is of the same guardian class as the foot.

as for the Monk in the chapel i'm thinking that this was deliberate as it was kept like this in JSW2 and 2+ for obvious reasons so i have more of a reason to change this back.

comments welcome

Edited by Metalmickey

Actually this is my final suggestion. I've scoured both the 'Bugs' and 'Trivia' lists in SkoolKid's disassembly and there is one more thing for which POKES are readily available - the 'Maria's dodgy depth perception':

http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/facts.html#mariasDodgyDepthPerception

Let us know if that's something you would like to fix, and I'll dig out the POKES (for which the credit goes to Stuart Brady of FUSE).

i think i may also re-visit this as well as what i mentioned in the above post then i will release my 5th (and hopefully final) version

unless of course someone can suggest anything else that needs looking at

having said that i did comment in the readme text that i would like to speed the clock up now it shows the time correctly throughout the day 

and a final final thought which may be slightly deviating away from the 'As Matt Intended' theme would be to perhaps add a little extra twist to the game completion after Willy has had his head down the toilet for a certain length of time. I have a routine ready to implement but i would like to find out how to get the game code to call it after a certain length of time

Edited by Metalmickey

I am considering it, although at the moment all i have done so far is replaced the original upload with one identical but for the removal of the invisible item in A Bit Of Tree.

I'm after a consensus of opinion from as many people as possible as to whether to implement the following changes and whether they were omissions in any way:

1 To revert to having the purple Monk guardian in The Chapel back to only facing left whilst traversing

2 To animate the purple Maria nearest to the right hand side of The Nightmare Room so she is waving her arm, at the moment she is just tapping her foot.

My first thoughts were that there was some sort of bug that affected the animation of certain purple sprites in the game but that now seems unlikely, it's more a coincidence although perhaps Mr Smith deliberately reduced her animation so as to not make the yellow one at the end look like the odd one out which cannot be animated as it is of the same guardian class as the foot.

as for the Monk in the chapel i'm thinking that this was deliberate as it was kept like this in JSW2 and 2+ for obvious reasons so i have more of a reason to change this back.

comments welcome

I think the Nightmare Room looks better for having a greater variety of animating Maria's.  So my personal preference would be to keep the foot-tapping one.

However, your query has led to me discovering another oddity in the original game code.  The Red Maria (Guardian Class 49) has an Animation Mask setting of 03, which is capable of displaying in four sprite-frames.  However, the selected Base Sprite in The Nightmare Room is 06, which means that only the Pointing Marias are actually used by the guardian.  It makes me wonder if either (1) Matt Smith meant to use Base Sprite 04 (which would yield a four-frame Red Maria), or (1) Guardian Class 49 was intended to have an Animation Mask setting of 01 (for a two-frame Maria, those two frames being determined by the value of 06 for the Base Sprite i.e. the pointing ones)?

As for the Monk in The Chapel, I did wonder if the intention was for him to face the altar constantly, but Matt got the thing backwards?  I guess we will never know.  However, having watched my Catholic Mother-in-Law 'genuflecting' in church (when returning to her seat after receiving mass, doing a funny half-bow whilst walking backwards into the pews), I think it would make sense for the Monk always to face towards the altar.

Others may feel that the 'disrespectful' Monk is more 'traditional' (and I guess you could argue that he's turning his face away from the Demon which has taken over the place).  So I don't have strong feelings* either way (or rather, between the three options).  But just in case you do decide to implement him always facing towards the altar, that can be achieved by reverting to an Animation Mask of 03, and selecting a Base Sprite of 04.

*The Saw in Cuckoo's Nest is a different consideration though - I really do think that was a rushed job, based on the fact that it was the final Guardian Class to be created by Matt i.e. the last defined one listed here: http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/asm/A000.html#a378 (and sawing backwards makes even less sense than walking backwards!)

Edited by IRF

Here are the POKES to ensure that Maria reacts to Willy's horizontal - rather than his vertical - position:

POKE 37829,58          #93C5, 3A

POKE 37830,211         #93C6, D3

POKE 37831,133         #93C7, 85

POKE 37832,230         #93C8, E6

POKE 37833,31          #93C9, 1F

POKE 37834,201         #93CA, C9

POKE 38221,205         #954D, CD

POKE 38222,197         #954E, C5

POKE 38223,147         #954F, 93

POKE 38225,19          #9551, 13

POKE 38226,48          #9552, 30

POKE 38231,18          #9557, 12

If you implement it, then credit should be given to Stuart Brady in the readme.  Note that part of the patch is located at what was a spare place in the code: #93C5 to #93CA.  But you might need to place it somewhere else (and adjust the CALL at #954D-4F accordingly) if those addresses have already been used for another purpose in your project?

Whilst I'm on the subject of credits, would you mind giving me a personal credit (Ian Rushforth) for:

• the am/pm fix to the clock;
  • the patch which prevents Willy from walking leftwards through head-height Earth cells;
  • ensuring that the first note of the in-game tune is played at the start of each game; and
  • the 'Guardian Aura' bug fix. (You mentioned it by referring to the fact that guardians have a 'glow' in the 'blue' rooms.)  N.B. contrary to what you claim in the readme, this fix wasn't implemented in JSW The Nightmare Edition!  We just made sure that all the guardians in non-Black rooms were non-Bright.  However, that meant that all other instances of such guardians in the game ended up non-Bright, even where they appeared in rooms with Black backgrounds - so it was a workaround, not a fix, as it were.

Also, the fix for the corrupted conveyor (and ramp) in The Nightmare Room was something that Stuart Brady and I collectively came up with when were were working on JSW The Nightmare Edition.  (It was implemented in The Nightmare Edition, but - again contrary to what it says in the readme - I think it's still corrupted in the 2015 Bug Fix Edition, which predated the TNE project.)

Finally, in terms of giving credit where credit's due, I believe that you've fixed these two glitches?  If so, John Elliott deserves a mention for coming up with the patches:

http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/facts.html#asYouWere

http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/facts.html#theEncroachingRope

(The latter is achieved simply by ticking the box for 'Adjacent Ropes' in JSWED.)

Edited by IRF

having said that i did comment in the readme text that i would like to speed the clock up now it shows the time correctly throughout the day 

I suggest you consult Daniel Gromann's detailed readme for the Special Edition of Willy's New Mansion; it contains detailed disassemblies for various code changes, including doubling the in-game clock speed (and another suggestion of mine, namely writing the current room name one row lower on the status bar). :)

and a final final thought which may be slightly deviating away from the 'As Matt Intended' theme would be to perhaps add a little extra twist to the game completion after Willy has had his head down the toilet for a certain length of time. I have a routine ready to implement but i would like to find out how to get the game code to call it after a certain length of time

Hmm... thinking out loud... the instruction at #9590 sets the internal 'ticker' to zero when Willy reaches the toilet.  So if another check was made somewhere in the Main Loop:

Firstly, check the value of the Game Mode (#85CF) - is it #03?  (If not, skip to XxYy)

Next, check the value of the 'ticker' (#85CB) - has it reached a certain value (anything up to #FF)? (If not, skip to XxYy)

Then insert a CALL to your new routine

XxYy

The value in bold could be adjusted - #FF = 255 'ticks', which is just short of one in-game minute [or two in-game minutes if you've doubled the rate at which the minutes pass].

EDIT: It might be simpler to implement whatever it is that you have in mind, if it were to take place at the exact moment when Willy puts his head down the toilet, as you could just CALL your new routine directly from #9591.  (I don't really see the need to reset the minute counter as the program currently does; it's extremely unlikely that Willy will reach the toilet during the narrow time window between 11:59pm and 12:00am!)

Edited by IRF