Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

I thought about cheating a bit with this but its a limit of the number of characters displayed rather than a limit of characters to enter otherwise you could manually insert chr$ 222 which is "over" . I've not tried that to see if it would parse or not as its going to either truncate the display or make a mess as its over length. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another possible idea here Mickey:

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/293-keypad-graphics-bright-bug

Although not quite what was asked for, if the keypad is set to accept any code then usually POKE 34646,32 (This changes the JR Z , 34693 to a JR NZ, 34693) which means you do not need to enter a code at all as you can just press ENTER on the keypad page if you do not feel like pressing 1-4. :D

Be aware if this is applied on its own without the 'any code' then it will just crash as it will more or less just 'step through' the second change and then go to the reset (JP 0) instruction.

The way Mickey has it set up is that you have to enter a correct code on the first occasion to get through, if not then you are asked a second time for a code, and that time it will let you through whatever you input.

I think that's a good compromise which still keeps the Code Entry facility (you can enter a correct code first time round if you want to), but without inconveniencing the player if they don't have the Code Sheet handy. :)

i'm tempted, in the interests of preserving the 'as manufacturer intended' idea, to simply apply the brightness patch and then actually just leave the remainder of the code entry sequence in it's original state meaning that you would have to enter the correct code in to play the game. Reason being because there is already a second turbo-loader (or hyperload as i used to call it) version that skips the code entry altogether so the player has a choice between the original and the slightly enhanced versions

Edited by Metalmickey

Just a heads up by the way, figured out how to speed up the clock, got the end-game routine sorted (almost) and made a minor change to the Master Bedroom

Before i decide on what to do about the Monk in the Chapel I just need to work out how to put in a delay so that on completion Willy gets to have his head down the toilet for a minute or so before my additional routine...

oh and i've made some changes to the Key entry as well...