Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

There's a bug in the 'Cycle the colours' routine (#8AEB):

- If you pause the game in 'To the Kitchens...Main Stairway', the non-flashing Conveyor starts flashing once the screen colour cycling effect starts to take place;

- Conversely, the normally flashing room elements in 'Nomen Luni'/'Under the Roof' (i.e. Earth blocks in the former, and Fire cells in the latter) stop flashing whilst the screen colour cycling effect occurs when you pause the game.

Richard (SkoolKid) has come up with a simple fix: insert an AND #B8 command prior to the ADD A, #18 at #8AFA.  For it to work properly, that needs to be followed by the existing AND #B8 at #8AFC, and so two additional bytes need to be squeezed into the routine.

The easiest way that I can see is to insert a CALL at #8AF9-FB to elsewhere (somewhere with six spare bytes). Then at the new location, have:

LD A, (HL)
AND #B8
ADD A, #18
C9

Edited by IRF

Hey Mickey(!)

I'll shortly be working on another bug fix (building upon Norman's - see the 'Jagged Finger Effect' thread), which could benefit your 'As Manufacturer Intended' project.  Over on that other thread I've given some examples, as has Norman, of the two interlinked 'bugs' that the fix should be able to address. :)

EDIT: I think I've made some progress on the above, although I've not yet tested it out to see if it improves the way the screen is rendered to the extent that I hope.

I also had something else in mind, for which I've left a contingency plan in place...

I was thinking about the unused 'Screen Flash routine'.  It was left in the JSW code as a relic from Manic Miner, where it takes place whenever Willy gains an extra life.  But there is no mechanism for gaining lives in JSW.

However, thinking about the concept of 'as manufacturer intended' - perhaps the routine was left in place for a reason?

I'm speculating, but maybe it was originally intended that the screen would flash to signify that all of the items have been collected?  Only, that would have given the game away, for the competition that was held at the time of the game's original release...

Just a thought!

Edited by IRF

Interesting thoughts there guys, i've almost perfected the game completion routine, with my still very limited although much improved knowledge of assembly language i have managed to put in a routine that follows after Willy has been inspecting his fine porcelain for a while. i've not yet tried running the 'redundant' code where the screen flashes and i don't really know what to expect but perhaps i might try implementing it into my new routine 

I remember some of my thoughts to 'fix' the pause routine were to either not have it auto-pause (very easy) or remove the pause routine completely

I thought about bypassing the pause routine but then i thought maybe that's not as AMI .. he went to the trouble of creating an enhanced routine compared to the MM pause routine so maybe we should allow it to be used .. besides, i like a challenge!  :D

Edited by Metalmickey

Interesting thoughts there guys, i've almost perfected the game completion routine, with my still very limited although much improved knowledge of assembly language i have managed to put in a routine that follows after Willy has been inspecting his fine porcelain for a while. i've not yet tried running the 'redundant' code where the screen flashes and i don't really know what to expect but perhaps i might try implementing it into my new routine 

If you try POKING 34253 to a value such as 8 or 16 whilst the game is running, you'll see the Screen Flash effect working.  :)

Either that, or play Manic Miner until you've collected 10,000 points.

If you try POKING 34253 to a value such as 8 or 16 whilst the game is running, you'll see the Screen Flash effect working. :)

...except that might not work if you altered the Screen Flash routine, in the process of making recent changes to the AMI game file (such as doubling the clock speed)? Edited by IRF