Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

According to the information on J. G. Harston's website:

Who won the JSW competition?

The JSW competition was won by Ross Holman and Cameron Else. Ross then became a writer for the illustrious Your Spectrum, before it became crap. (In a funky skillo sort of way.) I don't know if they got the chopper ride, or met Matthew Smith, but they *did* get the champagne.

Ross & Cam hacked JSW, realized that it couldn't be completed as it stood, so produced the necessary fixes - which then became the official Software Projects Pokes - and then completed the game, phoned up Software Projects, told them that Willy went to commune with the Great White Telephone, and that there were 83 objects.

According to the information posted here:

Software Projects announced a competition with the original release of Jet Set Willy, stating that the first person to complete the game would win a case of champagne and a helicopter ride over London, to be piloted by Tommy Barton, a director of Software Projects. The competition was won by two Londoners; Ross Holman and Cameron Else. The pair opted for cash in place of the chopper ride, but they did get the champagne. (Ross & Cam hacked Jet Set Willy when they realized that it couldn't be completed as it stood because of 4 major bugs, they produced the necessary fixes which then became the official Software Projects pokes. On completing the game they phoned up Software Projects, told them that "Willy went to commune with the Great White Telephone", and that there were a total of 83 objects.)

Edited by jetsetdanny

Well in fact it does work even with the clock running at double speed ;)  it might not work for some depending on where the extra routines have been added, i have found a large chunk of seemingly redundant code which i have been using to add various little enhancements including the 'out of time' routine .. i've no idea what it might have been used for originally but if you have a look at one of my files that i previously uploaded you might be able to see what i have overwritten

I believe you have inserted some of your extra code into the vicinity of #96F4-97FF?

I believe you have inserted some of your extra code into the vicinity of #96F4-97FF?

If my memory serves me rightly i believe i did indeed use this area, i think i put your guardian halo fix here but most of my new code resides from #A690 onwards as there is over a kilobyte of unused code here. I've not been particularly byte efficient with the coding, i've just been copying existing routines and making modified versions of them but hey it gets the job done :D   

whilst eagerly awaiting your solution to the jagged finger effect

Regarding the above, it's actually mostly 'Norman Sword's solution, although I inspired him to go further than his original approach, so that it addresses two distinct visual glitches in a shared solution.

It might (or might not) have to be 'tailored' to fit into your modified game file.  Question: in the 'As Manufacturer Intended' project, have you made any modifications to the code in the range #89F5 to #8A30?

Edited by IRF

...Question: in the 'As Manufacturer Intended' project, have you made any modifications to the code in the range #89F5 to #8A30?

i don't believe so, i've left this area well alone as far as i can recollect, in particular the 'unused' code which is now being used in my game completion routine enhancement  

Regarding the above, it's actually mostly 'Norman Sword's solution, although I inspired him to go further than his original approach, so that it addresses two distinct visual glitches in a shared solution.

It might (or might not) have to be 'tailored' to fit into your modified game file.

seems like there might be a lot of work involved, i feel a little bit cheeky taking it and using it for myself, i've got a release 5 pretty much ready and waiting now, just giving the readme a quick once over then i'll post

Edited by Metalmickey

seems like there might be a lot of work involved, i feel a little bit cheeky taking it and using it for myself, i've got a release 5 pretty much ready and waiting now, just giving the readme a quick once over then i'll post

It's not actually a lot of work, please bear with me as I really think it would be worth adding to the project.