Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

I'm after a consensus of opinion from as many people as possible as to whether to implement the following changes and whether they were omissions in any way:

1 To revert to having the purple Monk guardian in The Chapel back to only facing left whilst traversing

2 To animate the purple Maria nearest to the right hand side of The Nightmare Room so she is waving her arm, at the moment she is just tapping her foot.

(snip)

comments welcome

I have no strong feelings either way.

I would probably either just leave things as they are in the original, or go by whatever was done in "JSW2", as the earliest part of the canon :) .

Thanks guys for your thoughts on the purple sprites and thanks in particular for the tips and help in reference to the Maria's dodgy depth perception, end-game  head in toilet routine and clock speed adjustment.

I'm going to go away and apply some fixes .. could take some tweaking so i'll probably be a few days depending on time constraints... 

With release 5 i will also update the readme with credits in more detail to all those who helped  :D

Tiny detail: in terms of the capitalisation of room names, I wonder if the word 'over' in 'On a Branch over the Drive' should be lower case, as it's a preposition like 'in' or 'on'.  (Of course, the 'On' in the room name is capitalised in that particular room, because it's the first word of the name.)

Then again, your new room 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' does seem right with 'Over' capitalised; perhaps because it's the title of a film?  What do you think?

Well i think i need to further tweak the positioning of the room titles in any case some of them still look a bit off centre  .. my grammar's not that great but i was actually wondering if there should be a comma there as well so it says 'On a Branch, over the Drive' .. think i'll come back to that one

Tiny detail: in terms of the capitalisation of room names, I wonder if the word 'over' in 'On a Branch over the Drive' should be lower case, as it's a preposition like 'in' or 'on'.  (Of course, the 'On' in the room name is capitalised in that particular room, because it's the first word of the name.)

Then again, your new room 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' does seem right with 'Over' capitalised; perhaps because it's the title of a film?  What do you think?

Advice on the internet I found after a brief search suggests that "prepositions containing four letters or fewer" should not be capitalised in titles. Which would include "over". However, my personal, possibly incorrect preference (at least at this moment ;)) is to capitalise "Over" - perhaps to avoid the situation in which "Under" and "Above" are capitalised, but "over" isn't?

Concerning the comma, I don't think it's necessary, but it's just a gut feeling, basically. If I were to justify it, I would say: "on a branch over the drive" as opposed to "on a branch over the off licence" or something - the second element is not just additional information, it's a vital part of the basic information which makes it precise by differentiating it from other pieces of information.  :rolleyes:

Maybe you're right regarding the contrast with 'Under', Danny. I agree that there's no need for a comma.

Another example would be 'On a Branch Over the Security Guard'...

As for centralisation of the room names, I think the convention we used in TNE was that if there are an odd number of characters, then we placed it slightly left-of-centre (e.g. 5 spaces to the left of the name and 6 to the right if the name is comprised of 21 chars, etc).

Edited by IRF